Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volkswagon Buyback

tag
azguy13
Senior Contributor

Volkswagon Buyback

I had considered posting this under Auto Loans but since I am not discussing an actual loan I figured Smorgasboard would be best. 

I own a 2013 VW Passat TDI SEL. I thought it was not effected by the emissions scandal but apparently it goes all the way back to 2012. Anyways, I owe about $22K on the vehicle and VW is offering to buy it back for a grand total of $27k. This would give me approximately $5k in 'restitution' that I may just put towards a beater car just to bum around in. 

Does anyone have an idea of a decent used car for about $5k? The only requirement outside of being mechanically sound is I need to fit in it. I am 6'4 and about 270 lbs. I even considered one of the retired cop cars because I know they have been taken care of. I don't mind high mileage. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Volkswagon Buyback

@azguy13 wrote:

I had considered posting this under Auto Loans but since I am not discussing an actual loan I figured Smorgasboard would be best. 

I own a 2013 VW Passat TDI SEL. I thought it was not effected by the emissions scandal but apparently it goes all the way back to 2012. Anyways, I owe about $22K on the vehicle and VW is offering to buy it back for a grand total of $27k. This would give me approximately $5k in 'restitution' that I may just put towards a beater car just to bum around in. 

Does anyone have an idea of a decent used car for about $5k? The only requirement outside of being mechanically sound is I need to fit in it. I am 6'4 and about 270 lbs. I even considered one of the retired cop cars because I know they have been taken care of. I don't mind high mileage. 

Can't answer your main question but having been a police officer and seeing how the vehicles are used I'd steer away from them.  Yes they are maintained regularly in terms of oil changes, etc but they are driven very hard.  Not something that I would recommend

Message 2 of 7
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@azguy13 wrote:

Can't answer your main question but having been a police officer and seeing how the vehicles are used I'd steer away from them.  Yes they are maintained regularly in terms of oil changes, etc but they are driven very hard.  Not something that I would recommend

Thanks for the heads-up Irish. I was always under the impression that the regular maintenance would make them a steal but thinking about it more you are right. Heck, you only have to watch an episode of Cops to see how hard they are driven. Thanks my friend. 

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@azguy13 wrote:

True, but it's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@azguy13 wrote:

True, but it's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas.

Oh, they're fun to drive and all and I enjoyed them thoroughly.   However just like a good thoroughbred or... , they get ridden hard

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@azguy13 wrote:

Oh, they're fun to drive and all and I enjoyed them thoroughly.   However just like a good thoroughbred or... , they get ridden hard

Blues Brothers?

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently purchased an '06 Chrysler 300 and am VERY happy with it. It's one of those cars you either love or hate though. German engineering mixed with American muscle mixed with luxeries of a Caddy. I'm also a big dude, and this car seems made for big guys. You should be able to find a reliable one for that price range.. mine is the 300c with the 5.7 Hemi, so was slightly more, but a standard v6 should be easy enough to find for around 5k. Good luck! (Oh, and i dod my homework- make sure the front steering/suspension is tight, they wear out prematurely and many used ones need repair- find one thats had it done already- a good mechanic should be able to tell you easy enough)
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.