Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volunteer Choice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Volunteer Choice

Maybe you could find a retirement home that will let you play poker with the "old boys". Watch 'em, they'll skin ya.

Honestly, as an ex-cop I can tell you that there are a lot of kids and young adults that have gotten into the judicial system that are in need of someone to mentor them. Yes, some are beyond help and can only be controlled with a whip and chair but many just need someone to listen to them. 

Good luck with your efforts whatever you choose.

Message 11 of 14
Donks3369
Established Contributor

Thank you very much for the replys so far.  I had never thought to volunteer for my local police department.  I was originally going for a degree in Criminal Justice so that was interesting. 

I think it is great that so many of you have taken the time to volunteer your time.  I used to when I was younger but I guess throughout your 20's you start to lose a little of that focus.

I have however inquired with a charity that takes mentally/physically handicapped childen and adults on horseback rides.  They teach them everything regarding horses and it seems to really make them happy.  I thought this might be interesting as I like horses.  We'll see though.

Message 12 of 14
musikklvr
Frequent Contributor

You can go to volunteermatch.org and type in your zipcode and it will give you a list of agencies in your area that are looking for volunteers

Starting Score: 668
Current Score: 712
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Donks3369 wrote:

I have however inquired with a charity that takes mentally/physically handicapped childen and adults on horseback rides.  They teach them everything regarding horses and it seems to really make them happy.  I thought this might be interesting as I like horses.  We'll see though.

Our company just recently helped build a new exercise ring for just that type of equine therapy. We donated a good deal of manpower and management.  It is a great program in my opinion and rewarding to everyone involved. Even the horses.

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.