Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well that was a first...

tag
LipzyDaizy
Regular Contributor

Re: Well that was a first...

It didn't bother me but did make me realize how quick people are to judge based on appearances. I did get a good laugh though...especially at myself. lol 

Current Scores - EX 658, EQ 713, TU 722
Message 11 of 15
demi
Established Contributor

In some circles, that would be the fashionable look. 

I remember when I was a teenager, and my mom having fits about all the women in the grocery store in their tennis outfits....then I realized, what ticked her off was not the outfits (she was an avid tennis player) but that they were all at the store at the dinner hour rush...and she thought since they were not working, they should come at a different time of day.

Starting Score: EQ 679, TU 697
Current Score: EQ 680, TU 672
Goal Score: EQ 720, TU 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 12 of 15
p-
Valued Contributor

LipzyDaizy wrote:...I didn't look very presentable... hand the sales associate my amex and she gives me an obvious once over and asks for my id.  lol  that was definitely a first for me.

It's pattern recognition.  Just like the FICO algorithm recognizes people with certain patterns of credit usage or failure to pay as a likely risk, the clerk recognized that an Amex card in the hands of someone poorly dressed is not typical, and looked closer.

That seems like a reasonable response when presented with a card whose existince is based on image and pretension by someone who appears not to fit that pattern.  

Certain things would make you look twice too...  Imagine being handed a First Premier card by a stock broker looking guy in a Brooks Brother's suit with perfect hair, shined shoes, and manicured fingers.  He pulls it from an ostrich skin wallet with his watch hand sporting a gaudy rolex platinum, and places it on the counter...  

It doesn't fit.

Was your card a Centurion?

Message 13 of 15
LipzyDaizy
Regular Contributor

@demi wrote:

In some circles, that would be the fashionable look. 

I remember when I was a teenager, and my mom having fits about all the women in the grocery store in their tennis outfits....then I realized, what ticked her off was not the outfits (she was an avid tennis player) but that they were all at the store at the dinner hour rush...and she thought since they were not working, they should come at a different time of day.

I wish I could say it could be fashionable but sadly I can not. lol  But it was very comfy! LOL Smiley Very Happy

Message 14 of 15
LipzyDaizy
Regular Contributor

@p- wrote:

LipzyDaizy wrote:...I didn't look very presentable... hand the sales associate my amex and she gives me an obvious once over and asks for my id.  lol  that was definitely a first for me.

It's pattern recognition.  Just like the FICO algorithm recognizes people with certain patterns of credit usage or failure to pay as a likely risk, the clerk recognized that an Amex card in the hands of someone poorly dressed is not typical, and looked closer.

That seems like a reasonable response when presented with a card whose existince is based on image and pretension by someone who appears not to fit that pattern.  

Certain things would make you look twice too...  Imagine being handed a First Premier card by a stock broker looking guy in a Brooks Brother's suit with perfect hair, shined shoes, and manicured fingers.  He pulls it from an ostrich skin wallet with his watch hand sporting a gaudy rolex platinum, and places it on the counter...  

It doesn't fit.

Was your card a Centurion?

It was an Amex Gold.  Not even the PRG. lol  I understand how certain things make you look twice.  If I was in the sales associates shoes I would probably have done the same. 

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.