Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well that was a first...

tag
LipzyDaizy
Regular Contributor

Well that was a first...

I decided to go to hot yoga after work yesterday and decided to stop by Nordstrom to pick up a gift while i was out.  i will admit i didn't look very presentable...old, oversized sweatshirt over my yoga top, old baggy sweatpants over my yoga shorts, flipflops, hair in a messy bun, no makeup, etc.  anyway, i grab what i need and go to pay.  i hand the sales associate my amex and she gives me an obvious once over and asks for my id.  lol  that was definitely a first for me.  i couldn't help but laugh at the situation and my appearance.  oh good times...Smiley Very Happy

Current Scores - EX 658, EQ 713, TU 722
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
eddie84
Valued Contributor

Re: Well that was a first...

lol  Pics or it didn't happen! Smiley Tongue

Message 2 of 15
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@eddie84 wrote:

Smiley LOL

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 15
Exonumist
Established Contributor

I get that occasionally when I've been working outside or in gym clothes. The other day I stopped at Costco. They have your picture and your name on the Costco card. The cashier still tried to ask me for an ID. Honestly sometimes I think it's just because of my age. I paid for a $1 part at autozone with my CSP and he tried to ID me. I never show it and depending how the cashier handles it, I actually find it somewhat offensive.

Message 4 of 15
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

@Exonumist wrote:

I get that occasionally when I've been working outside or in gym clothes. The other day I stopped at Costco. They have your picture and your name on the Costco card. The cashier still tried to ask me for an ID. Honestly sometimes I think it's just because of my age. I paid for a $1 part at autozone with my CSP and he tried to ID me. I never show it and depending how the cashier handles it, I actually find it somewhat offensive.

^^^^^^^^

I used to take offense to it too when I get carded, but I learned not to take it personally in the sense that I am thinking "They are checking my ID because they don;t trust me or I look like a criminal"; after all, they do not know you, and as a matter of policy they may card everyone who uses CC to protect the CC owner, you! Imagine if someone did steal your cc and they carded and would not allow its use, one would be thankful they checked ID

Message 5 of 15
Exonumist
Established Contributor

For the most part I don't have a problem with it. Some cashiers are just down right rude about it though. When I am asked about 80% of the time I refuse. I've actually gone as far as reporting some stores because of their attitude about it. It's been discussed quite a bit and for the most part they are not allowed to require ID for a purchase if the card is signed. It's not really to protect the consumer. It's more about protecting the business from chargebacks. Honestly I could care less if someone somehow managed to steal one of my cards and charge it up. I'm not liable.

Message 6 of 15
Kirmie2010
Established Contributor

Ive not once been asked for my ID (even back when I had good credit and lots of it)

nobody here cares it seems in Oregon, ive seen them take cards that say SEE ID in huge marker on their card and the cashiers still dont ask.   Then again the past 5 years I have not given my card to any teller/cashier because they always have the terminal with the magnetic swipe part for the customer.  They only handle checks and cash pretty much.  

Ive sent my wife into stores with my cards, unless she looks like a Kirk, they dont bother reading or checking anything Smiley Tongue  

Message 7 of 15
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

@Exonumist wrote:

For the most part I don't have a problem with it. Some cashiers are just down right rude about it though. When I am asked about 80% of the time I refuse. I've actually gone as far as reporting some stores because of their attitude about it. It's been discussed quite a bit and for the most part they are not allowed to require ID for a purchase if the card is signed. It's not really to protect the consumer. It's more about protecting the business from chargebacks. Honestly I could care less if someone somehow managed to steal one of my cards and charge it up. I'm not liable.

^^^^^^

Yes I see where you are coming from. Sometimes it is HOW they ask for ID, where one can take offense at it, depending on attitutude so it's a customer service thing. Also I agree with you about protecting the store so they get their mney when they ask for ID, same with alcohol, they card not to protect minors but to protect their license. THis market is driven by self interest and it works!

Message 8 of 15
IOBA
Senior Contributor

I use to love to watch the color drain from the cashier's face after what I had said registered.

I use to write "SEE ID" or "CID" on the back on my cc.  If the cashier didn't check the back of the card, or didn't actually read the back of the card (just glanced at it), after I received the receipt and was walking away, I would turn back and said, "ya know, that wasn't my cc!"

Now hardly any cashier touches the card except at restaurants.  And even then, most servers don't look at the card.  

Message 9 of 15
LipzyDaizy
Regular Contributor

@eddie84 wrote:

next time i wear it i'll try to remember to get a picture. my friends refer to the look as hobo couture or homeless chic.  lol 

Current Scores - EX 658, EQ 713, TU 722
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.