Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What banks are you guys using ?

tag
darkfrosty
Established Contributor

What banks are you guys using ?

I have been banking with Chase for the past 4 years and never had an issue with them. Recently anytime I have deposited cash they need my ID and they enter it into the system. When I ask why since I have never been asked in the 4 years I have been there they tell me it is because they have some new tellers and once they know me they wont ask. Then the other day one of the tellers said that it is a company policy that started in March that they must enter your ID info anytime you make a cash deposit.

Now I dont deposit a lot of cash .. maybe 2-4k a year. I am not doing anything wrong but for some reason I just feel uneasy about having my DL# entered every time.

I have been considering changing banks to possibly USAA or maybe even a local credit union in my town.

What banks are you guys using and do you have this issue ?

CSR | Ink Business Preferred | Amex Platinum | NFCU Cash Rewards
Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

Re: What banks are you guys using ?

indiana members and forum credit union......i keep my chase account open with 5.01 for humor

Message 2 of 28
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

First Republic Bank

Message 3 of 28
Sneakytiki
Frequent Contributor

I was using Peoples Bank for years. They were great until they changed over to Peoples United Bank. Then the fees started. All kinds of problems and 100s of dollars of fees a year. Poor customer service and bill pay and an atrocious smartphone app that has not been updated in over a year.

So I switched to USAA and I love them. Their bill pay system rivals Mint and its all set and forget. They have so many tools and budget monitoring plus they take into account my credit cards with them, my CD's and my kids 529's. They are awesome. As soon as my score improves to 700+ I'm switching car insurance and home insurance over to them. They have great customer service and are very military friendly. Plus they added my kids and wife as full members. Even the smartphone apps they have are out of this world and very secure. They even have the photo check deposit etc where you get the cash the same day and direct deposits date the day before they actually deposit. Overdraft protection is free and is tied to my Savings and Reserve Mastercard account. I love them and I really recommend them. 

The only issue is no local bank. So, I'm currently looking for a local credit union in CT. I think I'm going to go with American Eagle Credit Union. 

Starting Score-(01/2017): FICO ||EX:575--EQ:549--TU:588||
Current Score--(04/2018): FICO ||EX:686--EQ:697--TU:715||

Message 4 of 28
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

I use ally for savings, and alliant for checking. The reason i use ally is so i can withdraw from atm in emergencies. Their interest rates are decent at .85%. Alliant i like the interest checking they offer with no min balance or fees. I get .68% which isn't great but an whole lot better than brick and mortar banks. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 5 of 28
FixMyCredit1992
Established Contributor

I would love to use USAA or NFCU but don't meet their mil requirements.

I've had Wells Fargo, Chase, Citi and US Bank.

Wells Fargo and Citi I don't recommend. Feel free to pm me and ask why.

US Bank and Chase are nice.

Farm and Fleet $3,000 (AU) Paypal Extras MC $1,500
Barclay's Apple Visa $1,200 QVC Qcard $800
Amazon Store Card $600 Discover $500
Walmart MC $400 Victoria's Secret $350
Credit One $300 Fingerhut $200
TU Fico 626

Message 6 of 28
darkfrosty
Established Contributor

I really like Chase but i don't like having to show ID and have it typed in everytime I deposit some cash. For some reason it just bothers me that they started doing it.

I am full USAA member but so far I haven't used any of their products. Some of the reviews online have me worried saying that the billpay is very iffy with people not having the bills paid on time.

My only concern with USAA is depositing cash. I know they do have some ATMs that you can.

The local credit union is Advanced Financial Federal Credit Union .. how safe is it banking with cu ?? I wish I could get into Navy Federal. I think my distant cousin might still be in the Navy. Maybe that is my way in.
Message 7 of 28
barbaralee
Established Contributor

I bank with PNC, love love love their Virtual Wallet. I am so used to the method of two checkings and one savings if I ever switch I will have to open a second checking account. The VW customer service has been amazing to me, but I personally think they are so nice because they are located in my city and they always point that out to me, lol. 

I have read a lot of complaints about fees and such, but my opinion on banks and fees are pretty similar to credit cards and fees: do not do anything  to accrue them. I have never been charged a fee by PNC. I recently had a small dispute with a merchant and they credited me back, credit was in account the next day. A friend of mine had fraud on her debit card and she said that she received excellent service in getting it resolved. 

The worst bank experience was TCF Bank that my husband signed up for when he attended the University of Michigan. We combined our finances and let the account go dormant. After six months they started charging a $10 a month fee! When they drained his account they closed it!! By the time we got around to wanting to close the account we were shocked the account was already closed and the money gone. We have a similar inactive account with USAA with about $300 in it, it has stayed at that for about a year and a half, but I feel secure with them. 

Probably more than what you asked for, but those are my experiences Smiley Happy 

Message 8 of 28
darkfrosty
Established Contributor

maybe ill just open an account with USAA .. cant hurt i guess

Message 9 of 28
toothgrind3r
Established Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

I use ally for savings, and alliant for checking. The reason i use ally is so i can withdraw from atm in emergencies. Their interest rates are decent at .85%. Alliant i like the interest checking they offer with no min balance or fees. I get .68% which isn't great but an whole lot better than brick and mortar banks. 

That's an excellent idea.  I have Alliant for checking and (multiple) savings accounts.  Might switch savings to Ally (prob do two, emergency no-touch savings and a general all around savings that can be used for ATMs)

How long do your transfers from Alliant Checking to Ally Savings usually take?  Or do you split up direct deposit?

I've got some cards. Some are pretty, some are ugly. Some are more useful than others.
Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.