Did you mean: 

What banks are you guys using ?

tag
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: What banks are you guys using ?

@toothgrind3r wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

I use ally for savings, and alliant for checking. The reason i use ally is so i can withdraw from atm in emergencies. Their interest rates are decent at .85%. Alliant i like the interest checking they offer with no min balance or fees. I get .68% which isn't great but an whole lot better than brick and mortar banks. 

That's an excellent idea.  I have Alliant for checking and (multiple) savings accounts.  Might switch savings to Ally (prob do two, emergency no-touch savings and a general all around savings that can be used for ATMs)

How long do your transfers from Alliant Checking to Ally Savings usually take?  Or do you split up direct deposit?

I dd to alliant usually out of habit to make sure i get that .68% interest on checking account not sure if there is min required but i know DD waives that. I usually just transfer from one or twice an month to my ally or my brokerage mma when i want to fund my ira. As far as how long it take i am not sure i didn't really pay attention next time i do i will look. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 11 of 28
macuserftw
Regular Contributor

I've been with a few different banks over the past 7-8 years. The absolute WORST were Bank of America and Suntrust. They had fees for everything that I couldn't seem to avoid (even though I tried) and the representatives at my local branches always tried to upsell me on more fee-riddled services. I tried banking with a local CU - GTE Financial, and while they didn't have any monthly maintainence fees, their customer service was lacking. Their branches in my area were always understaffed with long wait times. Plus, they never really did anything for me.

Once of the nicest banks I've been with surprisingly, is E-TRADE. I opened bank accounts with them as I kept my brokerage account with them for the longest time. Their customer service was always instant and top-notch and the reps were always super nice. Their mobile app was super nice as everything was in one place, and they even implemented the mobile check deposit feature later on. Sadly, I closed my banking accounts with them as I missed the convenience of a brick and mortar when having to deposit cash.

I now bank with Chase. I have a student loan through them, and they recently gave me $125.00 to start banking with them. I don't have to pay any fees (meet their requirements) and they have branches everywhere around here. I have absolutely no complaints with them at this point, and I plan to further my relationship with them in order to eventually get a Freedom card. Not to mention their mobile app is fantastic.

Message 12 of 28
toothgrind3r
Established Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@toothgrind3r wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

I use ally for savings, and alliant for checking. The reason i use ally is so i can withdraw from atm in emergencies. Their interest rates are decent at .85%. Alliant i like the interest checking they offer with no min balance or fees. I get .68% which isn't great but an whole lot better than brick and mortar banks. 

That's an excellent idea.  I have Alliant for checking and (multiple) savings accounts.  Might switch savings to Ally (prob do two, emergency no-touch savings and a general all around savings that can be used for ATMs)

How long do your transfers from Alliant Checking to Ally Savings usually take?  Or do you split up direct deposit?

I dd to alliant usually out of habit to make sure i get that .68% interest on checking account not sure if there is min required but i know DD waives that. I usually just transfer from one or twice an month to my ally or my brokerage mma when i want to fund my ira. As far as how long it take i am not sure i didn't really pay attention next time i do i will look. 

Thanks...one other question...do you keep any money in the Ally checking account?  Or is it just in savings, and you use your Ally checking debit for ATM withdrawals?

I've got some cards. Some are pretty, some are ugly. Some are more useful than others.
Message 13 of 28
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@toothgrind3r wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@toothgrind3r wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

Thanks...one other question...do you keep any money in the Ally checking account?  Or is it just in savings, and you use your Ally checking debit for ATM withdrawals?

I don't have ally checking , i use alliant which is an CU based out of illinois. Ally is just for MMA, which is basically just savings account with atm access for withdrawals. I have actually never had to use it . Also btw you probably know this already but ally has no branches and the app to scan checks works very well. 

Message 14 of 28
toothgrind3r
Established Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@toothgrind3r wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@toothgrind3r wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

I don't have ally checking , i use alliant which is an CU based out of illinois. Ally is just for MMA, which is basically just savings account with atm access for withdrawals. I have actually never had to use it . Also btw you probably know this already but ally has no branches and the app to scan checks works very well. 

Oh I know...I currently use Alliant for checking and savings...but I like the idea of having money with Ally for the rare times I need an ATM (without having to worry about ATM fees).

I opened Ally accounts a while ago, but never really used them.  But your earlier post got me thinking.

So I currently have an Ally checking and savings account not being used.  So, I have the Ally checking debit card at home in a drawer somewhere.  So I am thinking of switching my savings from Alliant to Ally, so that way I'll have the slightly better interest rates on my savings account, but with the added convenience of having free/refunded ATM withdrawals.  

So I guess my question was, and not sure if you know this, but can I have the money sitting in my Ally savings account, and access that with my Ally checking account ATM card?  Or would I need an MMA account and new ATM card?

I've got some cards. Some are pretty, some are ugly. Some are more useful than others.
Message 15 of 28
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@toothgrind3r wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@toothgrind3r wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@toothgrind3r wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

Oh I know...I currently use Alliant for checking and savings...but I like the idea of having money with Ally for the rare times I need an ATM (without having to worry about ATM fees).

I opened Ally accounts a while ago, but never really used them.  But your earlier post got me thinking.

So I currently have an Ally checking and savings account not being used.  So, I have the Ally checking debit card at home in a drawer somewhere.  So I am thinking of switching my savings from Alliant to Ally, so that way I'll have the slightly better interest rates on my savings account, but with the added convenience of having free/refunded ATM withdrawals.  

So I guess my question was, and not sure if you know this, but can I have the money sitting in my Ally savings account, and access that with my Ally checking account ATM card?  Or would I need an MMA account and new ATM card?

I think you need an mma account, that is what differentiates it from savings is the atm access. You are better off calling ally though because i am not sure. They have 24/7 customer service. You could switch over your savings to mma, its only .02% interest difference i think right now not an huge difference. The thing is with my alliant and ally cards i have them in my wallet i have never actually used them ever. 

I rarely need cash ever, i am an CC with everything kind of guy lol. Want to get me those points or cash back lol 

Message 16 of 28
toothgrind3r
Established Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@toothgrind3r wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@toothgrind3r wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@toothgrind3r wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

I think you need an mma account, that is what differentiates it from savings is the atm access. You are better off calling ally though because i am not sure. They have 24/7 customer service. You could switch over your savings to mma, its only .02% interest difference i think right now not an huge difference. The thing is with my alliant and ally cards i have them in my wallet i have never actually used them ever. 

I rarely need cash ever, i am an CC with everything kind of guy lol. Want to get me those points or cash back lol 

haha, yeah, I actually just chatted with them online.  I just want the freedom of knowing any ATM I use will be free.  And yeah, like you, about 99% of my spending is credit cards...but you know...I want that 1% to be fee free!

So after the chat with Ally, I am going to close my accounts with them, open a MMA, and they'll be sending me a card for that.

Message 17 of 28
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@toothgrind3r wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@toothgrind3r wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@toothgrind3r wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@toothgrind3r wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

haha, yeah, I actually just chatted with them online.  I just want the freedom of knowing any ATM I use will be free.  And yeah, like you, about 99% of my spending is credit cards...but you know...I want that 1% to be fee free!

So after the chat with Ally, I am going to close my accounts with them, open a MMA, and they'll be sending me a card for that.

Nice Ally does get an little hate for bailouts and all that , but so far i really like them. Getting 25x better interest rates then WF was giving me.With that being said i don't have an whole lot in my saving or checking accounts. Most of my cash is in my vanguard brokerage accounts. I know its risky but oh well . 

Message 18 of 28
barbaralee
Established Contributor

@macuserftw wrote:

Not to mention their mobile app is fantastic.

Is the banking mobile app the same as the credit card one? Because I thought that was suckage. I uninstalled it the other day.

Message 19 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

My credit union at Southwest. Been there for my entire banking career and they have been good to me but are behind the times in terms of convenience banking! I need to open a Chase and split my direct deposit.

Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.