cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you think of the Occupy Wall Street movement?

tag
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

What do you think of the Occupy Wall Street movement?

Is this an exercise in futility?

(As apolitical a question as I can ask...)

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What do you think of the Occupy Wall Street movement?

@Uborrow-Upay wrote:

Is this an exercise in futility?

I am wondering if Chase's decision not to follow Bank of America's monthly debit fee (as reported here) came about because of the Occupy demonstrations that have been taking place all over the US. 

Interesting timing! 

Message 2 of 12
laz98
Senior Contributor

it seems a lot of them don't even know what their purpose is.

Message 3 of 12
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

I think it's a combination of an increasingly complex world, especially the financial world, and frustration from too few signs of improvement and personal advancement.

It's diffuse and out of focus.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 4 of 12
GoodCredBen
Valued Contributor

Honestly, these people could be doing something more productive lol....

like, oh i dont know, get a job, go to school? pay your bills? 

hahah and we wonder why the economy is so bad!

My credit journey has completed. I am currently sitting at 800+ across the board.

I started my journey here years ago, and thanks to MyFico, it really is possible.
Message 5 of 12
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous_vanskike wrote:

Honestly, these people could be doing something more productive lol....

like, oh i dont know, get a job, go to school? pay your bills? 

hahah and we wonder why the economy is so bad!

Get which job? Pay bills with what? Pay for school how?

I missed the part where there were all these jobs that employers couldn't fill. Jobs with health insurance, and stuff like that.

I don't know how much I buy into it all, but there are real problems going on in our country now, and many of those who helped cause them seem completely unaffected by the results of their actions. In fact, they seem to be doing very well.

Just sayin'.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 12
GoodCredBen
Valued Contributor

True but they cant honestly expect for jobs to come to them.... 

You HAVE to be proactive because these few positions that are open, are going to be filled smaller then the kids meal fry at mcdonalds LOL 

Google it if you havent seen it! 

My credit journey has completed. I am currently sitting at 800+ across the board.

I started my journey here years ago, and thanks to MyFico, it really is possible.
Message 7 of 12
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I'm just irked that after bailing out the slimeballs who to a large extent created the mess, they're not stepping up and hiring again. Instead, they're still cutting jobs, including switching to contractor status, sending work overseas, etc. Yes, folks, the reason that your business is down is because you helped create a lot of unemployment and under-employment, and that's why people aren't buying cars and houses and consumer goods, so stop being disingenuous, and step up and do your part by creating jobs and helping get this country going again. Guess what, you can afford it. Your obscene record profits can drop a half a point or so.

And consider that instead of saying that you can't afford to do this, or perform actions that benefit the communities around you, because it will reduce the money returned to your stockholders (read: it will reduce the profits received by top-level management), try going old-fashioned on us and decide that you have a responsibility to be a good corporate citizen and give back to the cities and towns that you keep trying to dodge paying taxes to. (Hear that, Chevron??)

/end rant

And luckily, I do once again have a job with bennies, so off I go, tra-la. Smiley Happy

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 12
veracious
Established Contributor

Maybe the occupiers are trying to bring attention to the fact that most American corporations do not practice

Corporate Social Responsibility.   Their primary purpose seems to be to the stockholders only.

Why can't corporations be socially responsible to the citizens of the country they do business in?

Global businesses should be required to contribute  to the country they do business in as well.

Just my 2cents

Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

veracious wrote:  Why can't corporations be socially responsible to the citizens of the country they do business in?

Global businesses should be required to contribute  to the country they do business in as well.

Just my 2cents

Anybody here live in Louisiana? 

Corporations (read "oil companies") have been bleeding the resources of that state for decades, and its citizens are some of the poorest in the nation.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.