cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you think when you see someone paying by debit card?

tag
navistar
Regular Contributor

Re: What do you think when you see someone paying by debit card?

i think whether you are an extreme coupon user or extreme credit user, you are getting too extreme when you stand there and judge someone. Maybe you need a new hobby?

MyFico Equifax - 691
MyFico Experian - 692
Barclay Transunion - 682 (Last Updated 03/21/14)

Citi Diamond Preferred - $2,300 / Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage - $5,600 / Barclay - $4,600 / GE Care Credit - $1,000
Current Utilization - 52% / AAoA - 6yrs
Message 11 of 44
GetTheFico
Regular Contributor

I think it is most likely that they don't know about the rewards, I used to be the same way.

Only when I discovered this site did I find out the advantage of purchasing with credit cards for: points, cashback, hotel rewards, etc...

Or it could be that they don't want to have to worry about keeping track of another bill.

EQ: 780
EX: 767
TU: 779
Message 12 of 44
watch44
Frequent Contributor

I used to be the other way after years of being in a cycle of revolving debt. Whenever I was at the register and saw someone pay for something trivial with a credit card, I'd assume they were just broke and didn't have money in their bank account.

The concept of PIF was completely foreign to me even many years after getting my first card. One of my good friends tried to explain the concept to me one time and my response was, "so what's the point of paying by credit?" 

(Hover over pics for details) 
FICO:  TU 731 (05/14/14)   EX 749 (04/24/14)   EQ 684 (02/05/14)   Goal 700
FAKO:  TU 761 (05/20/14)   EX 761 (05/20/14)   EQ 743 (05/20/14)
Message 13 of 44
DarkMoonLily
Frequent Contributor

Eh, I don't really judge. 

My boyfriend is in the credit cards are evil club. I've been trying to get him to get his first credit card by way of getting a secured card but no luck yet. 

2019 Goals: Garden and Clean up Credit Reports!!!
2020 Goals: Get a Secured Card and Auto Loan.
Message 14 of 44
IamB2
Established Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

I'll take door #2.  Sometimes I find myself biting my tongue when I see people opening their wallet and pulling out a debit card. I am even more amazed when i see someone writing a check for groceries.  I'm like, WHAT?!

Check?? They still have those?

FICO® EQ 717 (3/5/15); TU08 732 (3/5/15); EX: 723 (3/5/15) - Last app 3/15/15; Inquiries: A TON!

CITI ThankYou Preferred - CL: $2,000

Starting Scores: 590s on 12/2013. Hover over card image to view details! *After Amex approvals - [I was supposed to be] Gardening!*
Message 15 of 44
demi
Established Contributor

Some of us also get points on our Debit.  I used to, don't anymore...I use a mix.  Personally, I am probably a 4...not that credit is evil, but I like living within my means, and I am way too tempted to spend more with credit.

Starting Score: EQ 679, TU 697
Current Score: EQ 680, TU 672
Goal Score: EQ 720, TU 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 16 of 44
parakleet
Valued Contributor

@navistar wrote:

i have had credit cards for almost 8 years and i have always used my debit card. I never did any research to know what cards would benefit me and I had useless cards that i didnt care to use. I have yet to use any rewards points from citi diamond card and it is 8 years old. Some people just have other things on their mind and dont care to pre-plan how they spend their money and take care of multiple accounts.

But that's the thing - you're not "pre-planning" anything to just use CC and pay the bill when it comes due. People who use CC wisely aren't spending money they don't have so there's not a "pre-plan" that's going on here. You're just using a rewards earning CC for things you'd buy anyways. For example, I use my Amex BCP for all my grocery purchases and I PIF when the bill is due. That doesn't mean that I'm having to "pre-plan" my purchases at the grocery store.

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 17 of 44
eagle2013
Established Contributor

@meehan22 wrote:

I flew out to California for a week with my father for a mini vacation and the Costco grocery charge was well over $300, dad started to pull out his cash and I flung over and swiped my credit card before he could pay and took the cash.  600 FREE POINTS! LOL! 

Ha! that visual is just so funny to me

Message 18 of 44
DantGwyrdd
Frequent Contributor

My DW is a combination of 1,2 & 4--she finds the mere act of thinking about revolving credit frustrating so she's the kind who has one CC and only uses it to check into hotels. I have, however, recently added her as an AU to my QS which we're gonna use for grocery shopping and joint meal outings (as long as I'm the one who's in charge of keeping track of it Smiley Happy) since it made sense to her that this would be an easy way to track how much we spend on those two things.

<script type="text/javascript">// window.onbeforeunload = function() {} // </script>

Message 19 of 44
sunshine7157
Regular Contributor

I rarely use my credit cards for 'everyday' purchases, either. My thing is that I'm not a spender AT ALL- I tend to hoard money. I buy groceries & gas like twice a month. I don't ever eat out or shop or anything. (Says alot about my social life, lol). I'm still afraid of this electronic age of ID theft, credit card info theft (ex: Target), etc.. The rewards add up so slowly for me that I don't find it to be worth the (perceived) risk.

Message 20 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.