Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does the abbreviation "b*" mean?

tag
cobbson
Regular Contributor

What does the abbreviation "b*" mean?

Not in the glossary. Been trying to figure it out by the context of the messages where it is used, but I don't have a clue. Is it something off-color? Duh!
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

Re: What does the abbreviation "b*" mean?

What context?

I haven't noticed it before. Try the general smorgasbord forum.
Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 2 of 10
simi_go
Frequent Contributor

@cobbson wrote:
Not in the glossary. Been trying to figure it out by the context of the messages where it is used, but I don't have a clue. Is it something off-color? Duh!

It means bumpage. Which is not something we are allowed (I believe) to talk about here. But you can find it on other credit boards. 

My wallet: Newest to oldest.

Message 3 of 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@simi_go wrote:

@cobbson wrote:

It means bumpage. Which is not something we are allowed (I believe) to talk about here. But you can find it on other credit boards. 

Exactly.

Message 4 of 10
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@09Lexie wrote:

@simi_go wrote:

@cobbson wrote:

Exactly.

The devil is in the details... many horror stories involving that one.  Causes split files, makes good TLs disappear, etc..., not worth it.  And 6 months of gardening does much better.  IMHO.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 5 of 10
cobbson
Regular Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

@simi_go wrote:

@cobbson wrote:

Exactly.

The devil is in the details... many horror stories involving that one.  Causes split files, makes good TLs disappear, etc..., not worth it.  And 6 months of gardening does much better.  IMHO.

Thanks for the education!

Message 6 of 10
eagle2013
Established Contributor

It's nothing to be secretive about, imo.
B* is basically when you pull your daily report (through 3rd party credit monitoring sites) enough it generates soft pulls. When those soft pulls get to a specified number; hard inquires have the potential to be "bumped" due to file size. TU and EQ have gotten hip to it and induce "chopping" where good TLs have the potential to be slashed instead of hps. Additionally, ARS is another CB which tracks applications, so it's null and void. You have to subscribe of credit monitoring sites, and that gets expensive. To me, I don't think it's worth it because new TLs matter more than inqs, and if your file is strong inqs don't matter that much anyway.
Message 7 of 10
lonelyisland
Frequent Contributor

This can happen from pulling my CB daily with USAA?!?!!

I just want to see whats changed!!

Message 8 of 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@eagle2013 wrote:
It's nothing to be secretive about, imo.
B* is basically when you pull your daily report (through 3rd party credit monitoring sites) enough it generates soft pulls. When those soft pulls get to a specified number; hard inquires have the potential to be "bumped" due to file size. TU and EQ have gotten hip to it and induce "chopping" where good TLs have the potential to be slashed instead of hps. Additionally, ARS is another CB which tracks applications, so it's null and void. You have to subscribe of credit monitoring sites, and that gets expensive. To me, I don't think it's worth it because new TLs matter more than inqs, and if your file is strong inqs don't matter that much anyway.

It's not that's secretive, it's that the attempt to remove valid inq's is a violation of myfico's ToS. Because myFICO provides reports and must follow the CROA, there are strict rules on credit repair and credit advice. Discussion of bumpage isn't allowed on here in terms of advocating or suggesting it.  Therefore, if this thread begins to go into detail on the 'how, what and where' will get  posts deleted. 

Lexie

Message 9 of 10
lonelyisland
Frequent Contributor

I'm sorry, I am not at all interested how, I just want to make sure I inadvertently won't, just by pulling my daily report!!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.