Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is gardening? And other myfico terminology

tag
jason0618
Frequent Contributor

What is gardening? And other myfico terminology

Is there a glossary of these terms somewhere?  

Scores as of 04/2021

Gardening until further notice
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What is gardening? And other myfico terminology

@jason0618 wrote:

Is there a glossary of these terms somewhere?  

Hi there. Here is a list of Abbreviations but gardening is more a state of mind.  Smiley Happy

Here is a link to the Garden Club Meeting of April 2012 that might explain more.

Message 2 of 5
jason0618
Frequent Contributor

ahhh, thanks.  abbreviations would have been a good search word, lol.

Scores as of 04/2021

Message 3 of 5
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

"Gardening" refers to a change in mind-set that (IMO) needs to occur at some point during the credit rebuilding process.

When you're first starting out, or when you're recovering from previous disasters, you're hunting. You're looking at everything out there, and evaluating it, and deciding if it's worth collecting. (Or if you're like a scary hunting partner, you shoot at anything that moves. But that's another topic.)

After you've filled up your trophy case, and you've also realized that there are some costs involved with hunting, you put the rifle in the gun safe, loan your cammies to a friend who can use them, and turn your attention to the home front for a while. You start tending your garden, which involves some patience, and planning, and weeding, and tolerance of boredom.

It can be a hard transition for those who have gotten caught up in the adrenaline rush of hunting, but at some point, you need to come up for air and tend to what you've got.

See my siggy below. Smiley Happy

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 5
jason0618
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for that explanation, too.  I hink I should probably garden for a while, but the only credit cards I have are secured cards, so I guess I will just concentrate on taking care of them, and then get unsecured cards and garden some more.

Scores as of 04/2021

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.