Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is it about school supplies?

tag
Math_Rocks
Established Contributor

What is it about school supplies?

I absolutely love this time of year! Even though I'm no longer a student (thank you, Lord!) and now reside on the other side of the desk, I absolutely love new school supplies. There is something so fresh and inspiring about new pencils and crayons and piles of notebook paper and notebooks. Can't exactly put my finger on it but I just love it!

I also loved the quote in "You've Got Mail" when one of the characters says that they want to send a freshly sharpened bouquet of freshly sharpened pencils. Smiley Wink

Filed Chapter 13 April 2012. Case successfully closed May 2017, about 1 month after 60th payment. FAKO scores on close date: TU 695 EQ 697. Received discharge July 11th - took forever! Real EX day of discharge 624.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
demi
Established Contributor

Re: What is it about school supplies?

There was something special about getting the right binder, etc (although being a lefty, I really didn't use one much).  I still get excited in Stationary/office supply stores !

Starting Score: EQ 679, TU 697
Current Score: EQ 680, TU 672
Goal Score: EQ 720, TU 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I totally feel you on that. I get the same feeling. (Or did when I was in school.)
Message 3 of 9
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

DD and I love to go to the supply store since she was little.Now DD is a licensed teacher.

DD just passed her praxis test and she is doing her student teaching till Dec09 and hurray shes done!

When she gets her school room , she wants me to help her decorate the room, can't wait. Also the mother and daughter bonding probably wouldn't hurt either.lol

Oh BTW her husband has her ban from going to the school supply store alone. LOL Because she can't be trusted with a cc there. I told her that I would go with her.LOLSmiley Very Happy He doesn't know we are alike, the buzz I think is from the new crayons. Math_rocks you are not alone  Smiley Wink

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know.  I think that even as adults we should be able to go to the store once a year and get a new Lisa Frank Trapper Keeper and Care Bears lunch box, or in DH's case, a Clash of the Titans lunch box.  I think it would be great for morale.
Message 5 of 9
MattH
Senior Contributor

@Math_Rocks wrote:

I absolutely love this time of year! Even though I'm no longer a student (thank you, Lord!) and now reside on the other side of the desk, I absolutely love new school supplies. There is something so fresh and inspiring about new pencils and crayons and piles of notebook paper and notebooks. Can't exactly put my finger on it but I just love it!

I also loved the quote in "You've Got Mail" when one of the characters says that they want to send a freshly sharpened bouquet of freshly sharpened pencils. Smiley Wink

I think it's related to what my mother (who taught Freshman English for many many years) always said: the great thing about teaching is that every term is a fresh start.  Whatever happened last term is over and you get to start again, whereas in my job when I return from vacation all my projects are still sitting on my desk in whatever state they were in when I left!  New school supplies symbolize that fresh start.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 6 of 9
demi
Established Contributor

One of my favorite commercials (shown only this time of year) is the Staples commercial with the father running happily thru the aisles throwing in school supplies, his kids looking all dejected...with "Its the most wonderful time of the year" playing...very clever.

I love the fresh start comment...had never thought of it that way, but how true, for both the students and the teacher.  Wow, even when I changed jobs didn't get that, somehow they found my new number!

Starting Score: EQ 679, TU 697
Current Score: EQ 680, TU 672
Goal Score: EQ 720, TU 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 7 of 9
Math_Rocks
Established Contributor

@demi wrote:

One of my favorite commercials (shown only this time of year) is the Staples commercial with the father running happily thru the aisles throwing in school supplies, his kids looking all dejected...with "Its the most wonderful time of the year" playing...very clever.

I love the fresh start comment...had never thought of it that way, but how true, for both the students and the teacher.  Wow, even when I changed jobs didn't get that, somehow they found my new number!

Oh, yes! That's one of my favourite commercials too!

And MattH got it exactly right. Every term/year is a fresh start. The pay could (should) be better but that continual new beginning is one of the perks of being in academe. (I also appreciated a friend's motto: "You can survive anything for 16 weeks!") Smiley Wink

Filed Chapter 13 April 2012. Case successfully closed May 2017, about 1 month after 60th payment. FAKO scores on close date: TU 695 EQ 697. Received discharge July 11th - took forever! Real EX day of discharge 624.
Message 8 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Perfect commercial, matched only by Office Max's homage to Rubber Band Man, courtesy of the Spinners and Eddie Steeples, aka Darnell Taylor, aka Crabman from "My Name Is Earl."

It's really awfully hard to beat the Spinners!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.