cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the protocol when you are stuck in an elevator? Call 911?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the protocol when you are stuck in an elevator? Call 911?

Tonight I thought I was stuck in an elevator in a parking garage. But finally the doors opened after 2 minutes. What do you do if you get stuck? It's not a police emergency, not a fire emergence and not a medical emergency. So your stuck and I mean really stuck. So what do you do? Call 911 and say you are running out of air to make it a medical emergency?
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What is the protocol when you are stuck in an elevator? Call 911?

911 all the way. I've seen too many videos on YouTube of people getting stuck on elevators. Sooner they get me/us out the better.
Message 2 of 11
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Most elevators have phones in them just for that purpose. I do not who you would be connected to but I sure would use it. As far as it not being an emergency, if it were me stuck in an elevator I would consider it one. I am terrified of heights and a tad claustrophobic. After about 2 minutes I would start panicking.
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.
Message 4 of 11
fused
Moderator Emeritus

- pull the alarm plug
- call 911 if your cell has reception
- use the emergency phone if the elevator is equipped with one
- talk with the other riders, if there are any with you, and assure them all they probably won't die
- smoke a cig, bite your nails, or do what ever it is you do when you're scared
Message 5 of 11
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

First thing I do is remember the 32-ounce diet Coke that I just downed. Smiley Tongue

Seriously, though, I see nothing wrong with dialing 911 if there's no phone, or more likely, if it doesn't work or isn't answered. 911 operators are very good-natured about referring you to a better number. I sometimes call 911 when there's some gi-normous Thing lying in the interstate, fallen off the back of a truck, and everyone's swerving around it. It might not be an emergency now, but it sure will be soon.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 11
marty56
Super Contributor

Dont ask anyone to pull your finger.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 7 of 11
fused
Moderator Emeritus

LOL! aaaack, the aroma!Smiley Very Happy
Message 8 of 11
marty56
Super Contributor

If by some chance you happen to let one rip and the elevator is crowded, youi should move to the opposite side of the elevator.

Stare at the person you were standing next to like they did it but dont say anything.  Remember the guilty dog always barks first.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

This article depresses the h*** out of me--so I thought I'd share! This guy was stuck in an elevator for nearly 4 days.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.