Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What r your money saving tactics

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What r your money saving tactics

Since electric bills in SD county make national headlines because they skyrocket, we're spending every single day at the pool, so we don't have to roast inside the house.

Also, bought those popsicle makers that I had when I was a kid & we're making Gatorade popsicles to eat while we're in the house Smiley Happy Keeps us cool, and cheaper than buying popsicles from the store.

Shopping at El Tigre, which is the Hispanic grocery store that is across the street from Albertsons. Not only is it a really interesting experience in ethnic foods (cow lips? cactus?) the food is WAY cheaper than Albertson's. DH's Coke is $1.38 for a 2-liter, instead of $1.89 -- that's just one example. It's all the same foods, same brands.. it's a classic example, for both grocers, of knowing your customer and what they're willing to pay.

We  made a fairly hefty investment in a Scott bike for DH, so he can start biking to work. It's the only exercise he can safely do since his health problems, and it means he doesn't have to drive his Sierra 24 miles/day. Killing two birds with one stone.
Message 11 of 21
Phoenix-rising
Frequent Contributor

Gosh, I feel terrible.  I don't have any money saving tactics except using the word NO more often when the kids want unnecessary things.

Y'all have wonderful ideas.  I think I'll share them with DH.
DH's FICOS: July '08 TU-661 / EQ-593 / EX-656 --> April '09 TU-730 / EQ-705 / EX-685

MY FICOS: July '08 TU-735 / EQ-727 / EX-767 --> April '09 TU-789 / EQ-774 / EX-767
Message 12 of 21
_andClimbing
Contributor

Fortunately, I was offered a work-from-home position last October. Every time gas prices go up, I feel like I got a raise.

Other than that, and the standard stuff (cutting grocery expenses, limited use of restaurants, no luxury items), I reviewed every bill I have and cut out non-essential services. Then called each company and asked them to find me more savings. That alone cut $185 out of my monthly budget.

I talked with my 10 year old daughter about our financial goals and got her on board. I don't have to say no to her because she doesn't ask for extras anymore. Since she isn't asking for anything, I'm not tempted to cave and buy her things impulsively. By making her feel like a contributor - giving her a sense of teamwork - she feels empowered to help.

Also, being raised Mormon, I still have the tendency to hoard food. The good news - we have 6 months worth of non-perishables that I only have to supplement for a while with fresh produce, milk, etc.
5/11/08 FICOs: EQ - 551
8/6/08 FICOs: EQ - 659, EX - 663, TU - 683
Message 13 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I fortunately have a job that I don't have a schedule- so I was only working 3 days a week (new baby) and now I work 5 to make up for the gas/energy costs-

~switched to cfl lightbulbs (seen a small difference in the bills)
~turn off and UNPLUG everything thats not being used (started that last month and saw a drop from average cost per day 2.85 down to $2.45-
~Do all of our trips in one day- groceries, deposit money, and other shopping, recycling ect ect
~We used to eat out a least 2 times a week and now we eat out like once every 2 months unless there's a family event
~drinking more water/less soda
~We used to go down the beach one weekend a month (4 hours away-free stay though Smiley Happy) but we've only went once this year- boo on gas prices

(now that I look over some of the things I've done to change- its cheaper, healthier AND good for the enviroment haha)
Message 14 of 21
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

This is my saying: You save money in a bank, not in a store.

If you see something on sale it's better to think "I'll be spending less money if I buy this" than "I'll save money.".

Message 15 of 21
Scamp
Valued Contributor

During my 'poverty years', it was everything from using coupons religiously to buying generic to shopping at Goodwill to thanking my mother and grandmother for making sure I know how to cook.

That last was invaluable when then-BF's inability/refusal to get and keep a job drove us onto food stamps to keep food on the table and a roof over our heads and the lights on, then refused to even PRETEND to LOOK for a job to keep the 2-person allotment of food stamps coming in!

Knowing how to cook meant I knew how to 'stretch' every ingredient, especially meat, as well as knowing how to take just about whatever was left in my cupboard and create an edible meal out of it.

Can't tell you how many times my knowing how to make soup from bones-veggies-n-water stock up stretched every last bit of meat from the cheapest cut of beef or a chicken carcass into something that kept us fed for several days.

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 16 of 21
marty56
Super Contributor

1,  Avoid Best Buy. 
2.  Use Blockbuster Online.
3,  Avoid Best Buy but  if I do I hide the bag from DW (Oh this wasnt a how I stay alive thread).
4.  Avoid Walmart on Tuesdays.

Okay I added a line to my budget for save money.  The day before payday I transfer the money into savings.  I am working on my Dave Ramsey Emergcency fund.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 17 of 21
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

Goodwill is your friend. My tactic is to go to a Goodwill in a rich area, you can find all kinds of brand name clothes, some of which likely didn't get worn even once.
Message 18 of 21
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

all great ideas!  Good thinking Ivy..the pool is great and the exercise will keep the kids fit and healthy.

My neighbors asked me if I was having a 4th of July get-together, lol....are they kidding me?  The person who hosts the party spends WAY more than the people bringing over side dishes.   Nope, not for me this year.

I'm keeping my old eye lenses...I only wear them to watch tv...why should I spend $200 for new ones?

Since it's been raining here a couple of days a week, we've cut wayyyyy back on the water usage for the outside gardens...letting nature handle that!

Message 19 of 21
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

I'm keeping all nights off in the evening, except for a small one in the basement & on the first floor.  The kitties do need to see.

my ipod is also great for listening to music instead of the cd player.
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.