cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's a cheap source for high speed internet?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What's a cheap source for high speed internet?

I've had Fios for probably a decade now and have grown tired of paying $180/mo for content that I probably use 1% of.  I'm lucky if I turn on my TV once or twice a week and it's usually just for my 6 year old to watch something.  Most of the time it's a DVD, so TV service isn't really even needed.  I've never had a land line, just my cell phone.  All I really use for $180/mo is internet, which when you think about it is pretty ridiculous.  Anyway, I was thinking of ditching Fios all together and just scooping up Netflix for $13.99 (I think that's the price) and then finding the cheapest source for high speed internet.  Any ideas on where to look for this?  Does this sound like a decent plan?  I live alone and never use more than 1 device at a time, so I don't think I need anything crazy here... just something that gets me online to stream a show or talk to you fine people on the forum Smiley Wink

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
ScarlettClone
Valued Member

Re: What's a cheap source for high speed internet?

What state are you in?

Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

The cheapest high speed internet in my area is probably Comcast. Like 75 Mbps for $49.99 or something, but this is a promotional price and they raise it after having the service for a year. You may have a chance taking the same promotion again, though.

Have to say their service can be a pain to deal with, but when there is no problem that needs to be solved it's okay. Actually don't have fiber in my area, have to stick with coax in the foreseeable future.

And I suppose maybe walking into a Verizon store and ask if they have a promotional price available. Checked on Verizon website and 100 Mbps up and down is $39.99/mo with certain terms (expect price increase after 1 year I suppose).

Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use Spectrum (Charter) DSL and it runs $69.99 per month. You can get a promotional price for the first 12 months. I think it was $39.99 or something like that. It is very reliable. I used to have ATT and had nothing but constant connectivity issues.

Also, Netflix only runs $7.99 per month to watch on one screen/device at a time. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm in NY, about an hour and a half north of the city.

@ScarlettClone

What state are you in?

Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, Netflix only runs $7.99 per month to watch on one screen/device at a time. Smiley Happy

I thought that was just for SD content, not HD content?  Perhaps I read that wrong.

Through Verizon chat they quoted me something ridiculous like $84.99/mo for internet only.  I can't justify that.  If I could find something around $40/mo or maybe $50/mo that would seem pretty reasonable.  I figure that plus the Netfix combined would come in at least $100, possibly up to $120/mo less than what I'm paying now which is a pretty nice savings.

Is there any web site or anything that allows you to search for different ISPs based on your location?

Message 6 of 21
Gregory1776
Valued Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

I'm in NY, about an hour and a half north of the city.

@ScarlettClone

What state are you in?

Wow lol you probably live right around the corner from me lol. I’m in Poughkeepsie. Important because i know most of the providers, i think.

And to answer your question, Fios no doubt has the best internet. But thats gonna cost you, now for just a phone/ tablet, and a streaming stick, you can probably do with optimum or a similar service at 25 mbps or so. Theyre upload speeds when you test them are always in the single digits, with the download being closer to what you pay for. Verizon is special because they pretty much give you what your paying for, 100 mbps and ill get that on my ps4, upload and download. 

Ill be canceling my cable (just the cable) because like you i only watch tv via Hulu or Netflix. I got the cable like an idiot. Never use it.

im ok with 80 bucks a month for just the internet, but thats me, and i want consistent internet. I’m a nerd. 🤓

Message 7 of 21
tricie17
Frequent Contributor

What you do is get their cheapest internet download/upload which I believe is 50/10 and then add basic tv which will give you the netflix that you desire.  Altogether this should not be expensive.  With the 50/10 internet and the 7.99 Netflix, it could be even cheaper.  Verizon has a way of talking a person into more expense than needed.  Do not bite.  Check out the scenarios that I am listing here and let us know your outcome.  Since you have them now, call and change.

Starting Score: 544
Current Score: 661
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tricie17wrote:

What you do is get their cheapest internet download/upload which I believe is 50/10 and then add basic tv which will give you the netflix that you desire.  Altogether this should not be expensive.  With the 50/10 internet and the 7.99 Netflix, it could be even cheaper.  Verizon has a way of talking a person into more expense than needed.  Do not bite.  Check out the scenarios that I am listing here and let us know your outcome.  Since you have them now, call and change.

https://slickdeals.net/f/10817763-verizon-fios-100-100-mbps-internet-only-plan-new-customers-only-39...

I got this deal recently worked out well basicly I had cancel my service and wait like a day and setup a new account ... It's very easy I'll explain below.

Step1... Make sure bill paid in full and you have no contracts

Step2...Call and cancel your service on the same day as calling

Step3...Wait about 1 business day then use the link above.

Hope this helps good luck... Smiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gregory1776

Wow lol you probably live right around the corner from me lol. I’m in Poughkeepsie. Important because i know most of the providers, i think.

I would say so; I'm in Poughkeepsie a well!

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.