cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the last thing you're willing to give up?

tag
Math_Rocks
Established Contributor

What's the last thing you're willing to give up?

A coffee thread got me thinking about this. As most of us are tightening our belts and counting pennies, what is the last item/area you're willing to sacrifice? Eating out? Starbuck's? Movies? Cable? Please share! (I promise not to judge.)
Filed Chapter 13 April 2012. Case successfully closed May 2017, about 1 month after 60th payment. FAKO scores on close date: TU 695 EQ 697. Received discharge July 11th - took forever! Real EX day of discharge 624.
Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
Trishco
Frequent Contributor

Re: What's the last thing you're willing to give up?

My internet!!! 

I had to think for a while, as I don't go out to eat much (can't get over the inspection reports, blech!), we don't have a Starbucks, and I'm pretty much a tightwad or so my family says. 

But now thinking a bit more, I won't give up the extra gas expense of trips out of town to watch my 14yr old run track and play football.  I'd give up my internet for that.

Message 2 of 28
demi
Established Contributor

My dog...can be expensive, but she is worth every penny!

Starting Score: EQ 679, TU 697
Current Score: EQ 680, TU 672
Goal Score: EQ 720, TU 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 28
Guardian
Valued Contributor

As a husband and father, my instinct is to give up what only affects ME first so that I can provide for the others longer before needing to cut anything. So I would say the last thing I would give up is something that goes to the needs and comfort of my daughter. First thing I would give up would be something that is just for me.

Common Abbreviations|FDCPA|FCRA
Take the FICO Fitness ChallengeStarting Score: TU:695 - EQ:719 - EX:630
Current Score: TU:712 - EQ:755 - EX:712
Goal Score: TU:800 - EQ:800 - EX:800

Message 4 of 28
dizbuster
Frequent Contributor

Amen brother!

@Guardian wrote:
As a husband and father, my instinct is to give up what only affects ME first so that I can provide for the others longer before needing to cut anything. So I would say the last thing I would give up is something that goes to the needs and comfort of my daughter. First thing I would give up would be something that is just for me.

A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
7/6/2009 Equ 664 TU 680 (15 and 19 point jump respectively this week, over 100 point increase in 6 months)
Message 5 of 28
Math_Rocks
Established Contributor

Okay, I said that I wouldn't judge but do either of you have teenagers? Because right now, there are a lot of things I would make mine do without before I would give up a necessity/luxury like chocolate! Smiley Wink
Filed Chapter 13 April 2012. Case successfully closed May 2017, about 1 month after 60th payment. FAKO scores on close date: TU 695 EQ 697. Received discharge July 11th - took forever! Real EX day of discharge 624.
Message 6 of 28
dizbuster
Frequent Contributor

@Math_Rocks wrote:
Okay, I said that I wouldn't judge but do either of you have teenagers? Because right now, there are a lot of things I would make mine do without before I would give up a necessity/luxury like chocolate! Smiley Wink

Ok you got me their. My girls are young still so no teenagers, but I was one not too long ago and my parents (who loved me dearly) would definatly make me go without a few things I considered necessities. Smiley Happy  ( a motorized vehicle comes to mind)
A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
7/6/2009 Equ 664 TU 680 (15 and 19 point jump respectively this week, over 100 point increase in 6 months)
Message 7 of 28
Guardian
Valued Contributor

@Math_Rocks wrote:

You are absolutely right and its not judging at all, you are quite correct to point that out. Indeed if my daughter was a teenager, I might not be so unwilling to take away some of her needs but my girl is only 8 (turning 9 in October). So you are absolutely right to say that my position is probably biased slightly or motivated by her tender age.

Common Abbreviations|FDCPA|FCRA
Take the FICO Fitness ChallengeStarting Score: TU:695 - EQ:719 - EX:630
Current Score: TU:712 - EQ:755 - EX:712
Goal Score: TU:800 - EQ:800 - EX:800

Message 8 of 28
Trishco
Frequent Contributor

We just got home from his first *real* job application....*sniff sniff*...my baby boy is growing up.(and he knows his mom won't dole out the cash for a cell phone, haha)

I hope he gets a part time job there as its close to home, and maybe he'll start paying for groceries since my funds are suffering from his food consumption! 

Message 9 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

After careful consideration. I guess I could live without a Gardner or pool guy.(Maybe)....Just kidding  I would have to say as a parent I sacrifice daily so they don't have to.....
Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.