cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What would you do if someone banged on your door for help?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What would you do if someone banged on your door for help?

On the road...

I've once been in dire need for emergency medical help and no one would help me. My cel phone bat was gone and I was begging people to call 911 for me. NO ONE WOULD. Smiley Sad Almost died. Before my phone battery went out the last person I was talking to knew my position and when the phone went out they reacted right away like it was an emergency. Glad they had because it was but I never got to tell them anything other than were I was then the phone cut out. I always remember that. I begged other cars passing by to call 911 but they all just ignored me watching me fall to the ground, still ignored me. I needed an ambulance. I always come to people that need help, but keep my doors LOCKED. And I always offer to call 911. I won't let anyone in my car or house period! I opened my window for someone that needed help and when my window opened they punched me. So you never know, but always call 911. Ask Medical/Police/Fire. Then dial. If they need a cab, call for one. Just don't open the door or window unless you know who they are. Sometimes the innocent one is at the door and the rest are around the corner waiting for the door to start closing behind. I was also robbed this way too. Someone needed directions, distraction and then the quick break in and grabbed electronics in about 10 seconds.

LOCK DOORS - CALL 911.
Message 11 of 28
marty56
Super Contributor

katecrime wrote:
tell them, through the door, my husband is calling 911 from the gun room.  cops should be here in a sec

LOL

I normal dont answer the door.  If they need help the Shell Gas station is half a block away.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 12 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sorry you had to go through that, Pizza!!!! Smiley Mad

But you've made my point for me on the "help or don't help" issue. I'd not be able to live with myself if I had passed you by.

I also do my best to do the "right thing" because I'd want someone else to do the "right thing" if one of my kids, family members, or friends were in dire need.

I think the closest thing to terror I've ever come was one night, driving to pick up my hubby from Guard (only had one working car at the time -- my car was in the shop, so I drove his manual trans), the stupid *&%^$ clutch cable broke.

Since this was the mid-90s, I didn't have a cell phone (but you better BET that I bought one the very next fricking day! That was $200 WELL spent!!). To boot, it was on a dark, dark, dark, deserted road in the middle of nowhere.

My DD was no more than 4 and my DS was still a wee baby. Scared to living death, I had us all crouch/lay on the floorboards, hoping against all hope that DH would catch a ride with a friend going the same way (which is what he often did, just to have company on the 2 hour drive home -- yeah ... did I mention I was about an hour away from home???) and see his "Baby" sitting on the side of the road.

The few cars that passed by would slow down and look at us (rather, look at the car), then speed up. Finally a couple pulled over and offered us a ride. This was hot on the heels of a serial killer abducting women (even with kids) posing as a "Good Samaritan", so of course, I politely declined, but not before asking them if they would call my hubby at the Guard unit and advise him of our situation.

About an hour later, DH pulled up and told me the most incredible story: He DID eventually get a ride with another officer and as luck would have it, stopped at the SAME gas station my Good Samaritan stopped at to make the call. The GS saw my hubby's Army uniform and asked if he was my DH. Hubby, So surprised that a complete stranger would know his name, said yes, and they told him the story. DH and friend immediately found us.

What I never told hubby is that immediately before the GS pulled over to help us, another car had stopped. They guy came to our car and immediately began tapping on the glass, telling me to open up (this was NOT a cop, BTW). Of course, I was scared out of my wits, but I was lucid enough to tell him that I had a gun, was a member of N-Effing-R-A (I'm not, but HE didn't know that!) and that I was a helluva shot. I think that might have unnerved him, but it was the GS pulling up that I think scared him off. :/

So, since that terrifying night, I have ALWAYS carried a cell phone. ALWAYS.
Message 13 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would call 911 and let them handle it......As a single woman who lives alone I don't answer the door for anyone, not even a girl scout.
Message 14 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

well if i am alone i tend to try and help, if i have the family in tow i call someone.

as for opening the door, not me. i live in a community that has a police and fire response times in the 1-5 minute range, and pay a great deal more than some (even a block away who don't have it) for it. i know not everyone can have this rapid response, but bottom line don't go out of your way to be a victim, criminals are lazy (that's why they are crooks) and will almost always go after the softest or most opportunistic target.
Message 15 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I would call 911 and let them handle it......As a single woman who lives alone I don't answer the door for anyone, not even a girl scout.

I'd be willing to risk it. Heck, even if a crazed psycho-looking guy came to my door with a red wagon filled with girl scout cookies, I'd risk it. Tagalongs. Yummers. Smiley Happy
Message 16 of 28
NikJ4
Established Contributor

I keep a 12 g shot gun in hand late at night to go to door plus DH has Glot. (oh he is a cop) so need I say more. If you come, please make sure its a real emergency. If not, please know it will be a real emergency.

Message Edited by NikJ4 on 08-08-2008 11:22 PM---- We are really nice people though.

Smiley Wink

Message Edited by NikJ4 on 08-08-2008 11:23 PM
Message 17 of 28
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

Why is it this situation immediately makes me think of A Clockwork Orange?

And yet despite that, I'd still be willing to help...

Message 18 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd ask them for their social security number and personal details, then I'd do a credit check.  It would help if they had (2) paychecks and the last (2) years of W-2s. 

Anything greater than a 760 FICO score and no 30-day lates, and I'd answer the door.  Anything less, and I'm sorry.  It's a tough time we're living in.

(I apologize - but someone HAD to give this answer).

Message Edited by FICOScott on 08-09-2008 12:05 PM
Message 19 of 28
NikJ4
Established Contributor

Fico Scott... U win!
Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.