Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What would you do with 20k?

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: What would you do with 20k?

I'd buy a basket of ETFs in TIPs, certain precious materials and metals and currencies that would appreciate the most with US dollar devaluation.  Really speculative, hedge with a short on soverign debt instruments.

Message 11 of 18
E150GT
Frequent Contributor

Guess I am the lone guy here with the real estate. I wont invest in stock market. 

CSP-$8700, Amex BCE-17.2k, Chase Freedom-$5700
Discover It-$6600, USAA MC-$5900 Ink Bold- $12k United Explorer-$5k
Message 12 of 18
fltn
Frequent Contributor

I would buy yourself a little fixer upper for 15,000 put a little work into it, just enough to get it rent ready and make a monthly income.

This is what my husband and I have started to do. We just bought a house for $6000, yes $6000 is correct, redid the floors in some cheap plain tile, painted the walls, put in a few hi quality window units that have heat and air becuase the Hvac was missing.  Total 10,000 and rent it out for 650 a month.

So by the time current renter moves out house will be paid off and can replace hvac and rent for $850.

Not to mention that cheap houses gain the most value with little work plus you get a monthly income. Rent for less than market value= rented quick so it never sits empty.

Currently "freezing" in the garden!
Message 13 of 18
HiLine
Blogger

@fltn wrote:

I would buy yourself a little fixer upper for 15,000 put a little work into it, just enough to get it rent ready and make a monthly income.

This is what my husband and I have started to do. We just bought a house for $6000, yes $6000 is correct, redid the floors in some cheap plain tile, painted the walls, put in a few hi quality window units that have heat and air becuase the Hvac was missing.  Total 10,000 and rent it out for 650 a month.

So by the time current renter moves out house will be paid off and can replace hvac and rent for $850.

Not to mention that cheap houses gain the most value with little work plus you get a monthly income. Rent for less than market value= rented quick so it never sits empty.

If you can actually pull off a deal like that, there's no better alternative!

Message 14 of 18
hausfrau
New Contributor

I'm a big believer in owning land. Jump on the veterans land board site and see if there is any in either a) an area that you know is expanding soon or b) that is in prime hunting territory. My hub is an army vet (2 years til retirement) and once our personal finances are top notch, we plan on getting some acreage here in TX that we will lease as hunting property until our boys are out of school and we can move there. The lease money can cover taxes and part of the payments. BUT, that's just our little dream. I would also go ahead and clear up any debt I could to free up "future" money.

Starting my rebuild!

Message 15 of 18
rebuildingmission2013
Contributor

Buy Bitcoin whenever it hovers around $50 range and sell above $125.  

Instant Profits...

Message 16 of 18
HiLine
Blogger

@rebuildingmission2013 wrote:

Buy Bitcoin whenever it hovers around $50 range and sell above $125.  

Instant Profits...

As if not enough people are doing it Smiley Wink

Message 17 of 18
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Hi, it's me.  The gal who buys a CD every two weeks.  Smiley Happy

If you are interested, private message me, and I can tell you how to get a triple bonus on your's and your wife's IRA account.  (Anyone can send me a private message if you want to know how to do this.  And yes, it's legal.)

And I am a big advocate for paying off debt.  With the help of our CD's, we bought a house in June 2012, transferred the balance to a no interest/no fee cc in January 2013, and just paid off the balance this month, April 2013.  I still have more than 30 CD's active and growing.  

We are now moving towards doing a triple hit (my term) on the IRA's for 2013, 2014, and 2015.  I should be receiving a 3% bonus on making 15k IRA contribution.  That is $450 in free money.  Smiley Happy  It sounds like you and your wife (combined) could receive $900 in free money.  Legally.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.