Reply
Super Contributor
Posts: 5,744
Registered: ‎01-28-2008

What you do to get rid of old I.D.'s and Credit Cards?

I have some duplicate inactive credit cards and various old I.D's and driver's license that's not fit to be shredded.  I'm not able to burn them because I live in an apartment.  I want to get rid of them.  Just trashing them may set me up for identity theft.  Recommendations are welcome.  Advance thanks.
Super Contributor
Posts: 8,183
Registered: ‎03-25-2007

Re: What you do to get rid of old I.D.'s and Credit Cards?

Shredder?  I have one at home, but the library or photocopy shop might have one
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Senior Contributor
Posts: 3,240
Registered: ‎04-03-2008

Re: What you do to get rid of old I.D.'s and Credit Cards?


MidnightVoice wrote:
Shredder?  I have one at home, but the library or photocopy shop might have one

My wife is a medical writer who frequently has to shred confidential documents so we have a shredder, and we also feed stuff like bills and old credit cards to it.  Before we had a shredder my usual method for disposing of an old credit card was cut it into six pieces with scissors, then distribute those pieces: two into my home trash, two into the trash at a filling station, and two into the trash at a retail store.

 

But OP should also ask around at work because there may be a shredder there.  I'm in pharmaceutical research and development and therefore regularly deal with proprietary documents so we have many shredders, but nowadays almost any workplace will have at least one shredder because at the very least they will have stuff like financial and employee records that shouldn't get into the wrong hands.

 

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Moderator
Posts: 16,440
Registered: ‎07-14-2009

Re: What you do to get rid of old I.D.'s and Credit Cards?


MattH wrote:

MidnightVoice wrote:
Shredder?  I have one at home, but the library or photocopy shop might have one

My wife is a medical writer who frequently has to shred confidential documents so we have a shredder, and we also feed stuff like bills and old credit cards to it.  Before we had a shredder my usual method for disposing of an old credit card was cut it into six pieces with scissors, then distribute those pieces: two into my home trash, two into the trash at a filling station, and two into the trash at a retail store.

 

But OP should also ask around at work because there may be a shredder there.  I'm in pharmaceutical research and development and therefore regularly deal with proprietary documents so we have many shredders, but nowadays almost any workplace will have at least one shredder because at the very least they will have stuff like financial and employee records that shouldn't get into the wrong hands.

 


I've done that. That way the information can never be combined again. Actually I still do that. My shredder is fine for paper but growls at me when I put a CC in it. :smileyhappy:

Super Contributor
Posts: 5,744
Registered: ‎01-28-2008

Re: What you do to get rid of old I.D.'s and Credit Cards?

I have a shredder, but it doesn't grind the cards and i.d.'s into unreadable pieces. 
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 7,970
Registered: ‎12-19-2007

Re: What you do to get rid of old I.D.'s and Credit Cards?

How about one of those big old paper cutters? You know the ones with the big blade? Cut it up the long way, then cut those strips into little pieces.
___________________________________________________________________
Do what is true in spite of the consequences--your future is only as true as you are.
Super Contributor
Posts: 5,744
Registered: ‎01-28-2008

Re: What you do to get rid of old I.D.'s and Credit Cards?


ByrdMan wrote:
How about one of those big old paper cutters? You know the ones with the big blade? Cut it up the long way, then cut those strips into little pieces.

Excellent idea and we have one at work.  I'll do that Monday.  I would have never thought about that.  I use the paper cutter all the time. Thanks!

Senior Contributor
Posts: 4,635
Registered: ‎03-11-2007

Re: What you do to get rid of old I.D.'s and Credit Cards?

You could call the local MVA and ask 'em whether they will securely shred 'em. I would hope they are motivated to prevent IDs landing in the hands of someone for nefarious purposes, so it would seem they'd at least take an interest.

 

Yeah, yeah. I know. I've wander so far out there, I'm afraid to look down because I just know there's no longer a cliff beneath me.

Super Contributor
Posts: 5,703
Registered: ‎10-06-2007

Re: What you do to get rid of old I.D.'s and Credit Cards?

Watch the Friday night Dave Ramsey show.  That features the plasectomy which usually is mostly fatal to a CC.
11/28/2014 FICO: EQ: 796 EX:788 TU:803
Valued Contributor
Posts: 2,708
Registered: ‎10-16-2008

Re: What you do to get rid of old I.D.'s and Credit Cards?


DI wrote:
I have some duplicate inactive credit cards and various old I.D's and driver's license that's not fit to be shredded.  I'm not able to burn them because I live in an apartment.  I want to get rid of them.  Just trashing them may set me up for identity theft.  Recommendations are welcome.  Advance thanks.

Before I got a shredder at home that could handle those things, I'd bring 'em down to my insurance agent's office and use his shredder. That thing could eat whatever got put into it.

 

I finally did get a decent shredder for my in-home office; it shreds ID's, credit cards, CDs and DVDs, etc.  It also partially-mangles an occasional letter-opener.   Wasn't sure at the time if it was worth the money or not (I believe I paid close to $180), but it sure chops things up in a heartbeat, whether you want it to or not!  

 

 

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.