cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What you do to get rid of old I.D.'s and Credit Cards?

tag
DI
Super Contributor

What you do to get rid of old I.D.'s and Credit Cards?

I have some duplicate inactive credit cards and various old I.D's and driver's license that's not fit to be shredded.  I'm not able to burn them because I live in an apartment.  I want to get rid of them.  Just trashing them may set me up for identity theft.  Recommendations are welcome.  Advance thanks.
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: What you do to get rid of old I.D.'s and Credit Cards?

Shredder?  I have one at home, but the library or photocopy shop might have one
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 2 of 14
MattH
Senior Contributor

@MidnightVoice wrote:

My wife is a medical writer who frequently has to shred confidential documents so we have a shredder, and we also feed stuff like bills and old credit cards to it.  Before we had a shredder my usual method for disposing of an old credit card was cut it into six pieces with scissors, then distribute those pieces: two into my home trash, two into the trash at a filling station, and two into the trash at a retail store.

But OP should also ask around at work because there may be a shredder there.  I'm in pharmaceutical research and development and therefore regularly deal with proprietary documents so we have many shredders, but nowadays almost any workplace will have at least one shredder because at the very least they will have stuff like financial and employee records that shouldn't get into the wrong hands.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 3 of 14
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@MattH wrote:

@MidnightVoice wrote:

My wife is a medical writer who frequently has to shred confidential documents so we have a shredder, and we also feed stuff like bills and old credit cards to it.  Before we had a shredder my usual method for disposing of an old credit card was cut it into six pieces with scissors, then distribute those pieces: two into my home trash, two into the trash at a filling station, and two into the trash at a retail store.

But OP should also ask around at work because there may be a shredder there.  I'm in pharmaceutical research and development and therefore regularly deal with proprietary documents so we have many shredders, but nowadays almost any workplace will have at least one shredder because at the very least they will have stuff like financial and employee records that shouldn't get into the wrong hands.

I've done that. That way the information can never be combined again. Actually I still do that. My shredder is fine for paper but growls at me when I put a CC in it. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 14
DI
Super Contributor

I have a shredder, but it doesn't grind the cards and i.d.'s into unreadable pieces. 
Message 5 of 14
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

How about one of those big old paper cutters? You know the ones with the big blade? Cut it up the long way, then cut those strips into little pieces.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 14
DI
Super Contributor

@Junejer wrote:
How about one of those big old paper cutters? You know the ones with the big blade? Cut it up the long way, then cut those strips into little pieces.

Excellent idea and we have one at work.  I'll do that Monday.  I would have never thought about that.  I use the paper cutter all the time. Thanks!

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

You could call the local MVA and ask 'em whether they will securely shred 'em. I would hope they are motivated to prevent IDs landing in the hands of someone for nefarious purposes, so it would seem they'd at least take an interest.

Yeah, yeah. I know. I've wander so far out there, I'm afraid to look down because I just know there's no longer a cliff beneath me.

Message 8 of 14
marty56
Super Contributor

Watch the Friday night Dave Ramsey show.  That features the plasectomy which usually is mostly fatal to a CC.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 9 of 14
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

@DI wrote:
I have some duplicate inactive credit cards and various old I.D's and driver's license that's not fit to be shredded.  I'm not able to burn them because I live in an apartment.  I want to get rid of them.  Just trashing them may set me up for identity theft.  Recommendations are welcome.  Advance thanks.

Before I got a shredder at home that could handle those things, I'd bring 'em down to my insurance agent's office and use his shredder. That thing could eat whatever got put into it.

I finally did get a decent shredder for my in-home office; it shreds ID's, credit cards, CDs and DVDs, etc.  It also partially-mangles an occasional letter-opener.   Wasn't sure at the time if it was worth the money or not (I believe I paid close to $180), but it sure chops things up in a heartbeat, whether you want it to or not!  

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.