Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do you bank and why?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Where do you bank and why?

@fused wrote:

I do my banking with a small local credit union in Hawaii. I don't trust larger banks, and I have no interest in them making money from me. I like my CU because they have relationships with other local CU's, so I can deposit money at another CU that's close to my home without having to go to my CU which is about 5 miles away.

I occasionally use my HSFCU checking account Smiley Happy  

Message 11 of 20
fused
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@fused wrote:

I do my banking with a small local credit union in Hawaii. I don't trust larger banks, and I have no interest in them making money from me. I like my CU because they have relationships with other local CU's, so I can deposit money at another CU that's close to my home without having to go to my CU which is about 5 miles away.

I occasionally use my HSFCU checking account Smiley Happy  

You stay in Hawaii?

Message 12 of 20
cobra19
Valued Contributor

NFCU

New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 13 of 20
GoodCredBen
Valued Contributor

TCF Bank - 

Only reason i bank there is because the whole family banks there lol....

My credit journey has completed. I am currently sitting at 800+ across the board.

I started my journey here years ago, and thanks to MyFico, it really is possible.
Message 14 of 20
teenastie
Established Contributor

I piddle around with Chase as I was a member of a bank 2 iterations before them. My (not so local- I live aprox 200 miles from the closest branch) CU gets all my money... CC, auto, savings, checking and another savings. Considering USAA to share with my daughter, and Amex (for short term home down payment savings acct).

Message 15 of 20
marty56
Super Contributor

I use Randolph Brooks Federal Credit Union.  They are great if you live in the San Antonio area.  I will never use a commerical bank again.  Goes double for BofA.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 16 of 20
Peach8321
Frequent Contributor

I use USAA for most things - Roth, Auto/House/Life insurance, checking, some "Savings", CC and then I also use PenFed for CC/1 "savings" account, and then Ally holds our long term, large cash savings.

I second Hauling's use of USAA for Auto insurance.  I was in a car accident in March and they handled it really well, got me my refund quickly (with a fair value), and then, even though it wasn't quite 5 years (March was accident, June was 5 years with them), they gave me free accident forgiveness anyway!  Plus, the rates are pretty low for the two of us (I pay around $110 per month) and they don't care if you pay monthly, yearly, quarterly, etc - its all the same price.

My DH just closed his checking account at US Bank, although they still hold our mortgage (now that we're both students, no one else will refinance with us, boo!).

I do like using USAA's app, it makes doing checks SOOOO easy, and since DH has a side job teaching lessons, we get a lot of checks!  USAA's shop member thing has nice benefits too, if you shop a lot online.

Current Scores: EQ: 740 (2/7/13)

Starting Score: 799
Current Score: 762
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 17 of 20
p-
Valued Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

I originally became a member when my dad put me on his USAA auto insurance policy. I had them for 5-10 years until they got too expensive, and then switched to someone else (Allstate? State Farm? I can never keep them straight.)

Several years ago, they dropped their rates and got very competitive with the others, and I got a quote which was way better. Between the savings and the fact that I just trust them, it made it an easy switch.

Ok thanks. I just need to give them a call. They can either save me money or they can't.

But it would need to be a pretty good savings for me to switch. I like being able to walk into my agent's office any time and talk face to face.

But the bottom line could help change my mind.  Smiley Wink

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

I switched my auto to them to save $, but after dealing with them for a claim I am extremely happy.  They were great.

To answer the OP,  My main banking is still with Wells Fargo, and still fee free for two checking accounts, three savings accounts, and a mortgage.  So far all fees have been waived. 

I have 4 bucks in a capital one checking account because they bought my small town bank in New York.  Just couldn't find Wells Fargo ATM's when I was over there...  Plus I have one of their CCs.  It's nice to have local branches when I travel.

I have Checking, Savings and and Amex with USAA, as well as home, auto, and life.  They are my backup plan if WF ever tries to fee me.

I have a Chase card but am not using their banking products right now, and also have cards with AMEX ZYNC and Orchard.

Edited to add:  Also a small savings at a local credit union where I have my Car loan...  Almost forgot that one.

Message 18 of 20
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Landmark Credit Union.

Had an account with a local bank then found out that after banking there for 3 years, coming in everyweek to deposit my check, I worked accross the street, I thought they knew me, they refused to do a transaction because I forgot my ID, this was years ago. Moved my money to the credit union and have never looked back now have a 10 year relationship with the credit union. Hoping to get a credit card with them now, will see if the relationship means as much to them,  10 years haven't had a check bounce in 7+ years thanks to having a small nest egg in a savings account that can be used to cover overdrafts for a small $5 fee. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 19 of 20
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

I bank with BofA. My family business has been banking with them for decades, so that made me a "Premier" banking member. (although they don't use that name anymore, I think it's "Wealth Management" or something like that) I can confirm that if they decide that you're somebody, they will treat you well.

But if you aren't... I don't know if I'd honestly recommend them at all. Certainly not since NationsBank took them over.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.