cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Card got away in 2017? Will you catch it in 2018?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which Card got away in 2017? Will you catch it in 2018?

This year I had approvals for the most part.

Mine:

Blispay. Said they could not verify my identity and I was to busy to fight with them at the time ( Got PayPal credit instead love it!)

USBank Cash+ also got away (I may at a later date reapply I am undecided. The way they handled my CLI with their Elan Branch irritates me)

LL Bean Visa (Barclaycard)

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Schwartzinator
Frequent Contributor

Re: Which Card got away in 2017? Will you catch it in 2018?

Chase’s Sapphire Reserve eluded me from the get go due to 5/24, but I bet on the Fairmont card and was not disappointed. On January 19th, my CSP will be 1 year old and eligible for a product change. I am crossing off days on the calendar.

Message 2 of 7
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

I obtained so much in 2017, that nothing truly got away from me. I closed all my store accounts except for Lowes and Amazon PLCC, and replaced them with some good options. If there's two "things" that got away from me, it was a big 5 digit approval and CLI's.

I got two $9K instant approvals last year (Chase AARP and BoA 123), and through a credit reallocation with BoA, gave myself a $20K limit on one card.

CLI's were feast or famine in 2017. Nothing from Discover, nothing from Amex (except a forced enrollment into Pay over time with a $30K limit I'll never use), nothing from Chase, nothing from DCU,  nothing from Wells Fargo (but the card isn't a year old yet), $1K from Capital One ($750 + $250 CLI's), $1K from Amazon PLCC, $2.8K from Chevron Visa, $5K from Lowes, $6K from BoA BBR. 

2018 is going to be the year of the restart with Amex. I have spent thousands with them over the last year, and expect I have a fantastic internal score. In the spring I am going to close all my Amex cards, wait 6-9  months, and apply for the BCP. I expect a $10K+ starting limit on approval. That's the only card I see myself applying for in 2018, because I'm going to get under 5/24 for some CSP love next year Smiley Happy 

Cards that are on the chopping block for 2018:

Lowes: Never use it, and 5% cb doesn't combine with dad's military discount.

Amazon PLCC : Only kept it because I was paying off a 0% promo.

Amex PRG, BCE, ED: Noted above.

Chase AARP Visa : Haven't used it since September. Will move $6500 to Chase FU, and $2500 to Chase Amazon.

Discover IT: No CLI's on it, don't need the BT offers when Capital One is flooding me with them.

Chevron Visa: The card I never asked for, and have never used. Was an upgrade from the store card. Kept it for reporting purposes.

Wells Fargo CashWise Visa: Dinky limt, hard to grow without HP's. 

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm in the same boat as DeeBee.

No Visa Signature in my wallet yet, but someday!

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I do not think I have ever used any of the benefits my Amazon Visa Signature offers. I realized the other day I did not earn enough cash back to make up for the $99 annual fee, then again I have been a prime member for 3ish years so I cannot complain.

Message 5 of 7
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I do not think I have ever used any of the benefits my Amazon Visa Signature offers. I realized the other day I did not earn enough cash back to make up for the $99 annual fee, then again I have been a prime member for 3ish years so I cannot complain.

You could always mooch off of an Amazon Household and split the cost of Prime between two people Smiley Happy My partner pays it one year, I pay it the next. 

Don't look at it in terms of making cashback to cover your Prime membership. The 2 day shipping alone easily pays for itself after 6 deliveries a year.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I missed out on the Sapphire Reserve due to 5/24 and missing that early link but if I can just hold tight until August this year I'll drop below and be able to pick it up.

At that point I'll PC CSP into a Freedom and be almost all set with UR-earning.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.