cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which bank account do you use and does it organize all your spending?

tag
nachoslibres
Established Contributor

Re: Which bank account do you use and does it organize all your spending?

@JoshNurse wrote:

I wanted to use it but had trouble adding my barclays credit card.

Is youneedabudget autmated and connected to online accounts or you need to do it manually?

You do it manually by downloading quicken files from your banks website, but what is awesome about You Need a Budget is how easy it is to use and how advanced the budgeting system is.  I use it to budget all my expenses - especially annual ones - and break them up into monthly amounts.  For example, I have over $900 due in annual life insurance premiums for my wife and I this month which I did not even realize until I looked at my budget but since I budget for it monthly I already had the money set aside for it.

Message 11 of 17
JoshNurse
Frequent Contributor

@gh17 wrote:

Oh and I'll add I usually use Personal Capital to track all my accounts/credit cards/loans/etc. together.  Occasionally Mint but I prefer Personal Capital because I can see my 401k and stuff in detail there too, and I'm not a big budgeter (which is Mint's main plus).

I went to personalcapital.com and the images look great. Will this ocnnect to for example ally bank, vanguard IRA, and most credit cards automatically or is it manual?

Message 12 of 17
SevenNEW
Established Contributor

@gh17 wrote:

Oh and I'll add I usually use Personal Capital to track all my accounts/credit cards/loans/etc. together.  Occasionally Mint but I prefer Personal Capital because I can see my 401k and stuff in detail there too, and I'm not a big budgeter (which is Mint's main plus).

+1 Personal Capital. I use it to track my retirement funds and kids' college funds.

SevenNEW, Garden Nerd - In the Garden until 2015!
4.2K 10K 24.6K
Message 13 of 17
SevenNEW
Established Contributor

@JoshNurse wrote:

@gh17 wrote:

I went to personalcapital.com and the images look great. Will this ocnnect to for example ally bank, vanguard IRA, and most credit cards automatically or is it manual?

You need to input the name of your bank and the login info and it will connect automatically. It works pretty well, though with a few sites you need to provide a code every once in a while (e.g. Amex Personal Savings). I like the ability to see all my financial info in one dashboard.

ETA: And yes, it will connect to IRAs and all sorts of accounts. (I bank with a local CU and it can get that too).

SevenNEW, Garden Nerd - In the Garden until 2015!
4.2K 10K 24.6K
Message 14 of 17
gh17
Frequent Contributor

@JoshNurse wrote:

@gh17 wrote:

I've got Ally, my Vanguard IRA, and several credit cards connected.  I also have retail credit cards, student loans, my 401k, and a small credit union account connected.  The all update automatically when I log in.  The only thing I have that doesn't automatically update right is my car loan because it's a weird bank website that requires you to verify yourself with a cell phone every time you log in and Personal Capital can't find a way to get through that.  It does still work though, I just need to have it call me and give me a code to verify every time I want to update that one account, so I update it less often (whereas all my other accounts update without me having to do anything).  And I have to do the same thing when I log onto my car loan from the bank's own website, so no loss there.

BofA Cash Rewards 25,000 (2009) | Citi Double Cash 25,000 (2011) | Cap1 Quicksilver 10,000 (2013) | Discover It 31,000 (2014) | Chase Freedom 9000 (2014) | Barclaycard Rewards 25,000 (2014)

FICO: 840 Discover/Barclays/BofA TU, 869 Citi Equifax
Message 15 of 17
JoshNurse
Frequent Contributor

I enjoy it.  It looks great.  Any way to make my car lease not show up as -$50K debt.  I only owe 24 payments of $430 on the car lease... it makes it look like I owe tens of thousands.

any way to customize the dashboard?  So far it looks great just wondering what I can do with it.

To bad it cant detect my brooks brothers credit card

Message 16 of 17
barbaralee
Established Contributor

If I absolutely had to choose between a VW and 360 I would choose 360, hands down. A top rated no fees bank beats VW, for all of its bells and whistles. In the next 3 years my husband and I are planning on moving to the west coast, in which case we will probably open up a 360 account, but as long as we stay on the east I will stick with PNC, since this has been my bank forever, and it is such a hassle to move things. 

I would also like to put in a vote for You Need a Budget. YNAB is basically my check register. I love it!

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.