Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who else wants a metal card?

tag
Noctilum
Frequent Contributor

Re: Who else wants a metal card?

Metal cards are cool. It's cool hearing comments from others like you must be rich or something lol. But the novelty has been going away, mainly since everything is becoming chip based and you insert yourself rather than them swipe.
Message 11 of 19
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

Honestly, who cares about the material of a credit card? The value of a card is what it can bring you - a card whose perks aligns with your lifestyle is a great means toward improving/maintaining your financial health. You shouldn't worry about what a card looks/feels like, and possibly what social connotations it can have if you're seen in public with it. You can definitely get a metal card but you should be focusing more on using your current cards to build up your scores a little.

Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I never cared about card material and always thought it was funny when I saw people complain of thin crappy cards, you know ones thinner than normal.  After getting my first metal card recently I must admit I like using it the most.  It just offers a sense of power.  Totally psychological but you can bet that's their plan when they make them.  Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do think that is their plan and it is working. Some on here chimed in that metal cards tend to be premium cards mostly. I read an article that metal cards are a new status symbol with millennials. Not in the way they were in the 80's but in an experiences way. It was a good read. I'll have to look it up. I think Amex is trying to go that route by making their Platinum card metal and from what I'm reading they are trying to make it more of an exclusive card like it was in the old days which means it may not be as easy to get and more about income than score. 

Message 14 of 19
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

Well glad we were able to get it now during more lenient times, then Smiley Wink

Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got the Venture card I believe in early March and had no clue that it would be metal, but I'm glad it is. It is now my favorite card and it also helps that it also has my highest SL of the cards I have. I just got the Chase Sapphire Pref this week and it has SOME metal in it to where it feels different than most cards, but its very flexible, unlike the Venture card which is solid. I've swipped it many times and just yesterday reached my bonus points and only 1 time has a cashier mentioned anything about it. I was at Harley Davidson in Las Vegas this past week and the young girl freaked out over it and said she wanted one. I get more unseeked attention from my Amex Gold PRG card to be honest and thats only plastic. I guess people like the bedazzled gold finish.....

But yes, these folks are correct. You're not going to get approved for any metal cards with your score and a recent late payment. If a metal card is what you seek you can go to various websites that will custom make you a metal card to replace one you've already got.

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hate metal cards. Makes my wallet rigid and fat. I use a cardholder wallet so all it does it stretch the slots and my regular credit cards/ID become too loose over time. Requested a plastic CSP for this reason and like it way better. This is odd, I know, but it really annoys me lol
Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I were you I'd be good willing the late payment and working on credit scores for a bit before applying for a card made with metal. At that point you can try prequalifying for the better prime cards so you don't burn so many inquires. Think of it as your goal card when things improve. Unfortunately credit is one of those things patience is key and I definitely need myself to understand that as well. Smiley Wink
Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Hate metal cards. Makes my wallet rigid and fat. I use a cardholder wallet so all it does it stretch the slots and my regular credit cards/ID become too loose over time. Requested a plastic CSP for this reason and like it way better. This is odd, I know, but it really annoys me lol

Interesting, unique perspective on this that certainly takes a different angle.  Thanks for sharing it though for sure!

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.