Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who else wants a metal card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Who else wants a metal card?

I have been thinking about everyone getting approved for their metal cards and I'm getting itchy trigger finger. Right now my scores are up from last year when they were in the 540 range. I'm wll into the low 600's now.. For some reason ck has me at 590 but I know thats no where near accurate. Only one baddie from this year (Jan.), a 30 day late on my CreditOne. A couple of old CO's that I am going to dispute. I plan on closing that as soon as I get another card. . Are there any metal cards that are available via the SCT? Or any secured metal cards available with a reasonable APR? I dont like to pay interest and one late payment and BAM the fees and charges add up.

Thanks for all your inspiration.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Mattopotamus
Frequent Contributor

Re: Who else wants a metal card?

While I wouldn't get a card simply for it being metal, It was a nice surprise to get a metal platinum card.  It is easily the best card I have owned in terms of looks/feel.  It is way better than the CSR in that regards.  I was also surprised to see my GF (authorized user) get the metal card as well.  I definitly would have thought it was only for the primary account holder.

If you simply want a metal card you can use https://metal-creditcard.com

Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would you mind providing your current FICO scores, revolving accounts, installment accounts, avaerage age of accounts, utilization on revolving accounts, number of inquires and any collections/derogatory accounts. You could probably get better guidance or suggestions with more information...thanks!!...

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

None that I can think of. 

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

The OP has credit scores somewhere between the high 500's and low 600's and just had a late payment 3 months ago.  The last thing he needs to be thinking about right now is applying for more credit, especially with the main focus being the material that the card is made out of.

Your primary focus should be making on-time payments.  That 30-day late if you can't get it removed is going to keep your scores buried in the low-mid 600's (tops) for the next year or two which is out of range for applying for prime cards.  I'm not sure if you have any other lates or negative items prior to the Credit One delinquency you mentioned from this past January, but if so working on getting those removed is going to be paramount to improving your credit profile and scores.

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Metal cards are premium cards.  SCT is usually comenity which isn't premium.

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't metal cards come with annual fees? If so no I  don't want one.  

Message 7 of 19
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

Couldn't have said it better Brutal,

Where your scores are you won't get near a metal card, be focused on sending GW letters to whoever you have late payments from. Metal cards are usually premium cards with good perks/sign up bonuses, so they have high APR.

My advice to you is... don't get a card simply because it's metal, get it because of what the perks can do for you.
Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@atomicfront wrote:

Don't metal cards come with annual fees? If so no I  don't want one.  

Yes and no. Technically the Amazon Prime Rewards VISA does not have an annual fee attached to the card. However, you need to be an Amazon Prime member ($99/yr membership fee). But for people like me, longtime Prime members, it was a non-AF metal card. Also, Cap1 has the Venture card in metal now which has a $59 AF, but it is is waived the first year (and from my experience Cap1 retention department will continue to waive the $59 if you frequently use the card). In general, most metal cards are of the $450+ AF variety.

For the OP, considering your score and recent history, getting a metal card should be the last thing you are thinking about. I know the itch, I was very excited for my metal Amazon card. However, when you're still in the low 600s and below, work on the basics to raise your score (on time payments, aaoa, low util, etc) before worrying about luxuries like metal construction.

Message 9 of 19
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The OP has credit scores somewhere between the high 500's and low 600's and just had a late payment 3 months ago.  The last thing he needs to be thinking about right now is applying for more credit, especially with the main focus being the material that the card is made out of.

Your primary focus should be making on-time payments.  That 30-day late if you can't get it removed is going to keep your scores buried in the low-mid 600's (tops) for the next year or two which is out of range for applying for prime cards.  I'm not sure if you have any other lates or negative items prior to the Credit One delinquency you mentioned from this past January, but if so working on getting those removed is going to be paramount to improving your credit profile and scores.

+1. Well said. 

OP, we all like the metal cards but I can't get one either. You really need to put all your efforts into getting that late payment removed. That will drag you down for years to come.

Experian: 677 (28) | TransUnion: 697 (27) | Equifax: 684 (6)
Gardening as of: 1-23-2018
Updated 1-25-18
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.