Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who's the "Cheap B**tard"?

tag
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Who's the "Cheap B**tard"?

I recently visited a local store for some fresh produce.  It's one of those places where you either buy your own bags for your groceries or bring bags with you.  Moreover, shopping carts require a $.25 deposit to unlock from the rack of carts, which is returned when the cart is brought back and relocked.

My wife and I are parked about halfway across the parking area, and we're loading our purchases into the car.  A man approaches from the absolute far side of the lot, and asks to have my cart. We weren't even done unloading our groceries.  I said no.  The man says to me, "Cheap b**tard", walks all the way back to his own car (a very nice vehicle, BTW), gets one grocery bag from his trunk, and then walks all the way back, past me and my wife, and continues on into the store.

I'm still trying to figure out why I'm the "cheap b**tard" here.  Guess he figured I'm too cheap to give him my $.25 deposit on the cart, while at the same time, he's so cheap he walks all the way back to his car to fetch a bag, which sells inside the store for ten cents.

Just a minor rant here, because it really bugged me. 

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Re: Who's the "Cheap B**tard"?

@Uborrow-Upay wrote:

I recently visited a local store for some fresh produce.  It's one of those places where you either buy your own bags for your groceries or bring bags with you.  Moreover, shopping carts require a $.25 deposit to unlock from the rack of carts, which is returned when the cart is brought back and relocked.

My wife and I are parked about halfway across the parking area, and we're loading our purchases into the car.  A man approaches from the absolute far side of the lot, and asks to have my cart. We weren't even done unloading our groceries.  I said no.  The man says to me, "Cheap b**tard", walks all the way back to his own car (a very nice vehicle, BTW), gets one grocery bag from his trunk, and then walks all the way back, past me and my wife, and continues on into the store.

I'm still trying to figure out why I'm the "cheap b**tard" here.  Guess he figured I'm too cheap to give him my $.25 deposit on the cart, while at the same time, he's so cheap he walks all the way back to his car to fetch a bag, which sells inside the store for ten cents.

Just a minor rant here, because it really bugged me. 

Haha, thanks for posting Smiley Happy

Let me twist that for you:

He had a dime for the bag but wanted to support a healthier environment and is unemployed so anything helps. Plus he is burried with negative equity from his bad car purchase. Don't forget about the three hungry kids waiting for him to cook dinner, since his wife is in rehab for a cocain addiction.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 2 of 22
Dustink
Valued Contributor

....but more likely just cheap himself.

Even with your wife there, I bet if it was a nice young lady you would have gladly given up your cart Smiley Tongue

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 3 of 22
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

I'd have stuck my hand out, and said "quarter?"
Message 4 of 22
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I misread and thought it said $25 deposit.  I wouldn't let him have it either for that amount.

Message 5 of 22
Open123
Super Contributor

This would really annoy me to no end. 

Message 6 of 22
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

@Burned2manybridgesB4 wrote:
I'd have stuck my hand out, and said "quarter?"

That's what my wife said I should've said....

D*mn!  I hate it when she's right, and has backup...jeesh!

Message 7 of 22
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Not for nothin', but I'll pretty much give anyone anything they need if I don't feel hustled in the process.

Case in point, I frequently travel an interstate highway between two cities.  I need a restroom, usually, on the return trip.  That is in Milford, CT. 

There's this one guy who is always there, in the parking lot, who approaches me, and others, for "anything you can help me out with" because he ran out of gas on his way to Springfield, MA.

This guy has run out of gas on his way to Springfield, MA pretty much every day I've ever stopped, forever.

Kinda kills my charitable spirit a bit.  But I'm trying like hell not to let that happen.

Message 8 of 22
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

....but more likely just cheap himself.

Even with your wife there, I bet if it was a nice young lady you would have gladly given up your cart Smiley Tongue

You may be right Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 22
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Uborrow-Upay wrote:

Not for nothin', but I'll pretty much give anyone anything they need if I don't feel hustled in the process.

Case in point, I frequently travel an interstate highway between two cities.  I need a restroom, usually, on the return trip.  That is in Milford, CT. 

There's this one guy who is always there, in the parking lot, who approaches me, and others, for "anything you can help me out with" because he ran out of gas on his way to Springfield, MA.

This guy has run out of gas on his way to Springfield, MA pretty much every day I've ever stopped, forever.

Kinda kills my charitable spirit a bit.  But I'm trying like hell not to let that happen.

I hate that! I got approached by 2 men in front of the grocery store as I was leaving and they were saying they were hungry and didn't eat anything all day. There's a homeless center down the road and I didn't hesitate in helping. I gave two grocery bags full with food for 3 days between them and another bag full with hot food (chicken, mac n cheese, etc) and that was my lunch. They thanked me and asked my why I didn't give them cash. I replied that they said they were hungry and I walked back inside to replenish what I gave away. They took my hot food and tossed it in the trash and took the two bags inside and tried to get cash for them. Smiley Mad

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.