Did you mean: 

Who's the "Cheap B**tard"?

tag
qd
Regular Contributor

Re: Who's the "Cheap B**tard"?

@llecs wrote:

@Uborrow-Upay wrote:

Not for nothin', but I'll pretty much give anyone anything they need if I don't feel hustled in the process.

Case in point, I frequently travel an interstate highway between two cities.  I need a restroom, usually, on the return trip.  That is in Milford, CT. 

There's this one guy who is always there, in the parking lot, who approaches me, and others, for "anything you can help me out with" because he ran out of gas on his way to Springfield, MA.

This guy has run out of gas on his way to Springfield, MA pretty much every day I've ever stopped, forever.

Kinda kills my charitable spirit a bit.  But I'm trying like hell not to let that happen.

I hate that! I got approached by 2 men in front of the grocery store as I was leaving and they were saying they were hungry and didn't eat anything all day. There's a homeless center down the road and I didn't hesitate in helping. I gave two grocery bags full with food for 3 days between them and another bag full with hot food (chicken, mac n cheese, etc) and that was my lunch. They thanked me and asked my why I didn't give them cash. I replied that they said they were hungry and I walked back inside to replenish what I gave away. They took my hot food and tossed it in the trash and took the two bags inside and tried to get cash for them. Smiley Mad

And that is why I do not give anyone anything.  I can't tell you many times people have come up to me with a sob story...and somehow they are always drunk or high out of their mind.  I know there are legitimate people out there that do need help but I don't have enough cash to go around so the answer is always no.  Too many people out there scamming every chance they get.

Message 11 of 22
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

I think sometimes that we all feel we have "Sucker" written on our foreheads.

I won't stop helping someone in need...and neither will you.

The folks that need it the most will probably never, ever ask.  And although you kinda got screwed on this one, I think you made points for your kindness and humanitarian spirit, even if those points count only for your own spiritual well being.  

You're one of the good guys, llecs, and nobody needs to know that except you.  

Now, if you'll give me an address, I'll be by later for a bag of wings and some slaw...and it'd better be hot!

(All kidding aside, don't let the b**tards get you down.  There's a whole lot of good people in the world, it just gets harder and harder to find them is all.)

Peace!  Smiley Happy 

Message 12 of 22
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

llecs is serving wings?   I'll bring beer!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 13 of 22
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Am I? I guess I am. Fresh made bleu cheese dressing for everyone! 

Message 14 of 22
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

I'm in on the bleu cheese.

During the winte,r my dh and I, popped into an old local gathering spot in a very hip and trendy neighborhood.  The burgers rock and are 1/2 the price.

There was a 'bum' sitting at the bar so we paid for his drink.  He stold both of our caps!  Now that's just SAD. 

Message 15 of 22
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Sorry.  I didn't know that was you.

I'll send 'em back.

(Sigh).

Smiley Sad

Message 16 of 22
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 17 of 22
trying_to_B_good
Contributor

I'm just scratchin my head wondering what kind of grocery store charges for carts and bags?! Sound like the grocery store is the chaep one here.......am I right folks? Of course i do live in BAMA so folks dont really steal buggies....hmmm hope this doesn't catch on in the south!

Message 18 of 22
hutchj
Frequent Contributor

@trying_to_B_good wrote:

I'm just scratchin my head wondering what kind of grocery store charges for carts and bags?! Sound like the grocery store is the chaep one here.......am I right folks? Of course i do live in BAMA so folks dont really steal buggies....hmmm hope this doesn't catch on in the south!

I know Aldi's does. I've always looked at it as something to help cut down on waste. If people have to pay for the bags, they won't try to triple bag things.

AMEX BCE: 5k; Barclay Apple: 2.5k; BoA CB: 3k; BoA BBR 4.2k; BoA Travel: 8k; Chase Sapphire: 5k; Chase Freedom: 6k; Citi Diamond: 3k; Discover IT: 9k

June 2013 FICOs: TU: 763; EX: 754; EQ: 764 (was 747 9/2012). Last app 2/20/2014 Garden until 3/2015
Message 19 of 22
CashOnDelivery
Established Contributor

@hutchj wrote:

@trying_to_B_good wrote:

I know Aldi's does. I've always looked at it as something to help cut down on waste. If people have to pay for the bags, they won't try to triple bag things.

Back in the day (late 80's/early 90's), Lucky's Market (Converted into Albertson's) gave a shiny quarter if you returned the cart.Smiley Wink

2010: 475 EQ 2011: 503 EQ 2012: 600 EQ2013:632 EQ
Starting Score: 634 EQ-3/13/13
Current Score: 706 EQ-8/29/13 703 EX-7/12/13 705 TU-8/9/13
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.