cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do people mess up their credit at ages 18-21?..

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Re: Why do people mess up their credit at ages 18-21?..

@PandiferBear wrote:

While it is no excuse, credit cards and college kids used to be a lot different than now. The CARD Act has a lot to do with it changing to how it is now.  It used to be that credit card companies came to campuses offering all kinds of freebies for apping for their card.  And sadly, a lot of people (self included) didn't really understand the gravity of it all. Or did, and didn't care.  It is good that young people are protected these days, but it can make it harder for them to build credit. 

Yes I remember the predatory nature of credit card companies when I was in college. They targeted 18 year old kids who have never lived on their own, who had little to no knowledge about how credit cards worked and offered them all sorts of shiny inducements to apply all the while knowing these kids had zero income and many were relying on student loans to pay their tuition. It was deliberate to trap these kids in debt. It was really disgusting how many teens got screwed over as a result and that was the whole point. They knew the kids would run up their cards and not have the money to pay them off, so they would carry the balance and pay tons of interest. In the end mommy and daddy would come in and pay off the bill if the kid was at risk for default. The schools should have been held accountable for letting these companies setup their displays like they did. Its quite different from when Amex targets MBA grads. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 11 of 25
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

Well, not a lot of people have matured by that age or have the slightest understanding of what credit is. They just charge and charge, but do no think about how they will pay for that later.

Message 12 of 25
red259
Super Contributor

@heyarrnold wrote:

Well, not a lot of people have matured by that age or have the slightest understanding of what credit is. They just charge and charge, but do no think about how they will pay for that later.

+1 since its their first time away from home usually they never had to balance their own finances. I think financial education should be much more heavily covered at the high school level, instead of just hoping people learn stuff on their own. I know it would have benefited me in early adulthood. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 13 of 25
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@heyarrnold wrote:

+1 since its their first time away from home usually they never had to balance their own finances. I think financial education should be much more heavily covered at the high school level, instead of just hoping people learn stuff on their own. I know it would have benefited me in early adulthood. 

I completely agree. I am thankful that my parents taught me early on. And for a 21 year old, not to toot my own horn, but I think I've done quite well. 

Message 14 of 25
MB2714
Regular Contributor

A lot has to do with many youth were never taught how to handle finance by their parents. Thats basically it. They learned the hard way.

Chapter 7 Discharge April 2015. .Transunion 662 07/2017
Equifax 652 07/2017
Experian 657 07/2017
Cap One QS $2,200; Cap One QS$2,950; Cap One PSVisa $1,100; Nordstrom Visa $3,500; Target $300; Syncb/Walmart $500; VonMaur $500; Cap1/Saks $500; Barclays MC(AU) $6,400; Buckle $250; Syncb/Car Care (AU) $2,500.
Message 15 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

My problem was banks were handing out credit left and right caring about ability to pay. Got approved for my first card before I had my first job. miss a payment they drop your credit limit to below your balance and you can never dig out.

Message 16 of 25
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

It was 1991 and I remember the days as a freshman campus was plastered with credit card apps all over and booths were set up to apply for credit. Now I wonder when I read posts why it is difficult to get credit for someone without, whereas for me before the credit card Act, it was easy as 1-2-3.

One thing I remember from 23 years ago was a credit card app that stated up front "if you can't at least pay the minimum do not apply"

23 years later, Amex beng my oldest card dated since 1991, no late payments, no missed payments, and over $300,000 in credit lines amassed so far. Here's to the next 23 years.

Message 17 of 25
bigDEElight
Frequent Contributor

@subwaysandwich wrote:
I keep seeing people post that as to why they have bad credit. Is this just an excuse?

I messed mine up in this age range. I had no examples of anyone maintaining "good credit" around me. So I got more cards than I could handle and no contingency plan in the case of financial emergency. I've lived and I've learned. As I always say, economics shouldn't be the only money related course taught in high school. A financial literacy and management class could go a long way to keep younger folks from these credit mistakes.

EQ: 706 TU: 716 EX: 708
Total: $91,700 | 2016 Goal: $95K | Utilization: 8%
Message 18 of 25
heyitsyeh
Frequent Contributor

For my friends around that age, it's more like they are paranoid about cards and end up using debit until they graduate, never getting that headstart in establishing credit.

TU: 777 | EQ: 814 | EX: 764
Last INQ: 3/26/21
AAoA: 4y 7m
Lowest limit: Chase Freedom Visa - $13,000
Highest limit: Discover It - $56,500
Available credit: $200,600 (8 cards)
Message 19 of 25
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

Young and dumb. 

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.