cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do people sign the back of their CC?

tag
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Why do people sign the back of their CC?

I've had one or two places refuse to process a charge if a card is unsigned.    However I agree that most places nowadays don't really care about the signature.  

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 11 of 53
AAstra
Regular Contributor

@Shogun...

Great points you've made! I am wondering though...wouldn't it be smarter for all CC use to be approached with the show ID method? I mean, if I sign the back of my card, it does open the door to having my signature copied by someone who steals my card and identity. If I have to show my ID every time, it allows for them to match my name to the card, as well as to verify the picture on your ID to the person's face using the card.

FICO - TU: 815 | EQ: 793 | EX: 813

Sears MasterCard: $13k (1/2013)
Capital One Venture One Visa Signature: $10k (7/2015)
Amex BCE: $9.8k (3/2014)
Amex Corporate: NPSL
Chase Freedom Visa Signature: $9.5k (3/2014)
Discover it: $9.5k (3/2014)
Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards: $2.65k (6/2013)
Message 12 of 53
FixMyCredit1992
Established Contributor

One other quesrion I have.

When I sign the terminal, does the card issuer have a copy of the sig? I always wondered what's the purpose of it. 

Farm and Fleet $3,000 (AU) Paypal Extras MC $1,500
Barclay's Apple Visa $1,200 QVC Qcard $800
Amazon Store Card $600 Discover $500
Walmart MC $400 Victoria's Secret $350
Credit One $300 Fingerhut $200
TU Fico 626

Message 13 of 53
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@dbutz1109 wrote:

@Shogun...

Great points you've made! I am wondering though...wouldn't it be smarter for all CC use to be approached with the show ID method? I mean, if I sign the back of my card, it does open the door to having my signature copied by someone who steals my card and identity. If I have to show my ID every time, it allows for them to match my name to the card, as well as to verify the picture on your ID to the person's face using the card.

Oh, I'm not saying I disagree with you.  I'm going by the agreements that are made by you to the CC company, and also by the merchant and the CC company.  The agreements say that you will sign the card and the merchant will check the signature.  It doesn't say that you will provide ID or that the merchant will require ID.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 14 of 53
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

@Duncanrr wrote:

@coldnmn wrote:

Also a security issue. It amazes me why people don't want to follow card agreement for their own security. 

There is a school of thought, as mentioned by earlier poster, that the signing of the back of the card actually lessens your security as it provides would be thiefs with access to your signature to copy.

This is why one should use a signature that is very difficult to replicate. When I got my first job as a GM, my boss told me that I needed to come up with a different signature or symbol. When I asked why, he simply duplicated my signature and said "that's why."

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 15 of 53
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

@FixMyCredit1992 wrote:

One other quesrion I have.

When I sign the terminal, does the card issuer have a copy of the sig? I always wondered what's the purpose of it. 

Yes...a copy of what you signed on the PIN pad shows up on the other end...at that point, the cashier SHOULD'VE asked for your card to compare. Alas, most don't bother.

Before I got my full time job, I used to work at BOSE...we HAD to take and compare EVERY card with every customer's signature. They could write us up if we didn't.  Of course, we're dealing with expensive products here.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 16 of 53
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

So violating the credit card agreement by not signing the card. Who is responsible for illegal charges to the card? Seems a sure fired way for the credit card company to pass the buck. That's why it amazes me why people will violate the credit card agreement that they signed when getting the card. I'm not saying which is more secure I'm saying that's the agreement that was made by signing the agreement not if it's right or wrong.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 17 of 53
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@coldnmn wrote:

So violating the credit card agreement by not signing the card. Who is responsible for illegal charges to the card? Seems a sure fired way for the credit card company to pass the buck. That's why it amazes me why people will violate the credit card agreement that they signed when getting the card. I'm not saying which is more secure I'm saying that's the agreement that was made by signing the agreement not if it's right or wrong.

Exactly.  Doesn't matter which is more secure.  It's the agreement that has been established.  

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 18 of 53
john398
Senior Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

Once again, the showing of ID is not required and they cannot deny the charge for lack of providing ID.

I thought if the card was not signed they had a right to ask for ID, I am pretty sure thats in the merchant agreement

Message 19 of 53
Platinum
Frequent Contributor

@dbutz1109 wrote:

@Shogun...

dbutz1109,

Question. Why or do you think that the ID can't be falsified ? Using ID only is not 100% safe either. Right ?

Nothing is 100% safe. The safest method is probably what they do in Europe: Chip and PIN. Can we implement it here in US, probably yes with some difficulties. Americans typically carry more CC's then Europeans. Can you imagine us to remember 20 PIN's ? Having one same PIN for all the cards is not safe either. So nothing is 100% safe.

Message 20 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.