cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do people sign the back of their CC?

tag
DW777
Established Member

Re: Why do people sign the back of their CC?

Most people just write "see id" on the back of debit and credit cards.

CITI 2000.00
BOA- 1500.00
BOA- 1500.00
AMEX GOLD- CHARGE
AMEX BLUE- 2000.00
BARCLAY APPLE- 1500.00

Message 21 of 53
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

@Platinum wrote:

@dbutz1109 wrote:

@Shogun...

Great points you've made! I am wondering though...wouldn't it be smarter for all CC use to be approached with the show ID method? I mean, if I sign the back of my card, it does open the door to having my signature copied by someone who steals my card and identity. If I have to show my ID every time, it allows for them to match my name to the card, as well as to verify the picture on your ID to the person's face using the card.

dbutz1109,

Question. Why or do you think that the ID can't be falsified ? Using ID only is not 100% safe either. Right ?

Nothing is 100% safe. The safest method is probably what they do in Europe: Chip and PIN. Can we implement it here in US, probably yes with some difficulties. Americans typically carry more CC's then Europeans. Can you imagine us to remember 20 PIN's ? Having one same PIN for all the cards is not safe either. So nothing is 100% safe.

not having any cards=safest way to protect against credit fraud...lol I am not willing to go to that extreme though....

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 22 of 53
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

@DW777 wrote:

Most people just write "see id" on the back of debit and credit cards.

I don't think that's what most people do. I think that most people sign the back of their cards.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 23 of 53
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, it does say that if the card is "NOT" signed, then they must ask for identification.  But this is the rest of the process according to the Mastercard Merchant agreement.

804.2.1 Unsigned Cards

If a card is presented to a Merchant and is not signed, the merchant must:

1. Obtain an authorization from the issuer,

2.  Ask the Cardholder to provide identification (but not record the Carholder Identification Information) and,

3.  Require the Cardholder to sign the card.

The Merchant must NOT complete the transaction if the cardholder refuses to sign the card.

To me, this is pretty cut and dry as to why people sign the back of their cards.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 24 of 53
Platinum
Frequent Contributor

@Swapmeet wrote:

@Platinum wrote:

@dbutz1109 wrote:

@Shogun...

Great points you've made! I am wondering though...wouldn't it be smarter for all CC use to be approached with the show ID method? I mean, if I sign the back of my card, it does open the door to having my signature copied by someone who steals my card and identity. If I have to show my ID every time, it allows for them to match my name to the card, as well as to verify the picture on your ID to the person's face using the card.

dbutz1109,

Question. Why or do you think that the ID can't be falsified ? Using ID only is not 100% safe either. Right ?

Nothing is 100% safe. The safest method is probably what they do in Europe: Chip and PIN. Can we implement it here in US, probably yes with some difficulties. Americans typically carry more CC's then Europeans. Can you imagine us to remember 20 PIN's ? Having one same PIN for all the cards is not safe either. So nothing is 100% safe.

not having any cards=safest way to protect against credit fraud...lol I am not willing to go to that extreme though....

That is true. By not having any card is the safest way to protect against fraud. But then again fraud is not our problem. It's the CC issuer's problem. We are protected against fraudulent use of the card. So I don't see what is the issue here, except for the waiting time until new card arrives.

Message 25 of 53
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

Exactly.

My Wallet:
Message 26 of 53
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

Yes, it does say that if the card is "NOT" signed, then they must ask for identification.  But this is the rest of the process according to the Mastercard Merchant agreement.

804.2.1 Unsigned Cards

If a card is presented to a Merchant and is not signed, the merchant must:

1. Obtain an authorization from the issuer,

2.  Ask the Cardholder to provide identification (but not record the Carholder Identification Information) and,

3.  Require the Cardholder to sign the card.

The Merchant must NOT complete the transaction if the cardholder refuses to sign the card.

To me, this is pretty cut and dry as to why people sign the back of their cards.

+1

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 27 of 53
Platinum
Frequent Contributor

All we have to do as consumers is to abide by the credit card agreement and that is generally: sign the card, use it properly, report any unauthorized charges and you won't have any problem.
Message 28 of 53
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@Platinum wrote:

@Swapmeet wrote:

@Platinum wrote:

@dbutz1109 wrote:

@Shogun...

dbutz1109,

That is true. By not having any card is the safest way to protect against fraud. But then again fraud is not our problem. It's the CC issuer's problem. We are protected against fraudulent use of the card. So I don't see what is the issue here, except for the waiting time until new card arrives.

By following the terms of the agreement you signed your protected? That was a contract you agreed to.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 29 of 53
tli
Valued Member

I have to disagree with not signing being more secure, if a thief found an unsigned card all they would need is a pen to sign it "with their own version of victims signature" which is much easier for them to reproduce in a "short period of time before reported lost/stolen"  Hopefully by the time they learned to copy "victims signature" the victim will have already reported it lost/stolen. "CID" to me is pointless because the victim would only be liable for $50 and some banks waive that fee.

Also if its a generic card with no name and its not signed the thief could easily get a cash advance at any bank with their signature and ID.

FICO 08 Scores Dec15: EX 644 EQ 641 TU 651
Message 30 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.