cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why doesn't retail stores have large credit cards stickers posted on there doors .

tag
fdrfan54
Frequent Contributor

Why doesn't retail stores have large credit cards stickers posted on there doors .

Why doesn't retail stores have large credit cards stickers posted on there doors  like back in the 80s and early 90s.  These days it seems like Credit card door stickers are really small and doesn't grab your attention comparied to the ones from 80's and 90's especally the credit card shaped Visa and Mastercard door stickers.

Newegg Card $1200| Amazon Card $1000| Walmart Card $1100| Discover IT Card $1500 Current Fico score is 672 currently Gardening for the time being. Been a member of the Garden since 11-21-17 Planning to stay until Mid-2019.
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why doesn't retail stores have large credit cards stickers posted on there doors .

It would be nice if the stores would be forced to put the stickers on their doors, I agree. 

Message 2 of 18
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Why doesn't retail stores have large credit cards stickers posted on there doors .

Some merchants may feel large, attention-grabbing stickers interfere with the atmosphere they want to create.

I find the little ones sufficient and useful. I lean towards leaving it up to the merchant, though, rather than requiring even those.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

Some merchants may feel large, attention-grabbing stickers interfere with the atmosphere they want to create.

I find the little ones sufficient and useful. I lean towards leaving it up to the merchant, though, rather than requiring even those.

I do wish places like restaurants would put their card acceptance on the menu. I find many don't, and since most places take your card away, it becomes a hassle. Many servers don't pay attention to the type of card you put on the table, so it wastes time when they have to come back and explain that they don't accept American Express or whatever. 

Message 4 of 18
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

I do wish places like restaurants would put their card acceptance on the menu. I find many don't, and since most places take your card away, it becomes a hassle. Many servers don't pay attention to the type of card you put on the table, so it wastes time when they have to come back and explain that they don't accept American Express or whatever. 

You can always just ask if they take Amex when the server drops off the bill.

Also, Amex often provides restaurants leather bill folders with the Amex logo. I've seen Discover ones, too.

Or use a V/MC. Your Premier would be a good option. I'm guessing you're planning on dumping that or have minimum spend to meet, though.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

You can always just ask if they take Amex when the server drops off the bill.

Also, Amex often provides restaurants leather bill folders with the Amex logo. I've seen Discover ones, too.

Or use a V/MC. Your Premier would be a good option. I'm guessing you're planning on dumping that or have minimum spend to meet, though.

I've read about places that have those AMEX sleeves that don't even accept the card. 

I still have the ThankYou Premier but the card isn't in my wallet at the moment. I had some useful balance transfer offers for a couple of my Citi cards so they aren't being used anymore. None of my four Citi cards even have interest rates at the moment lol. 

The recent exlusivity change to the USAA Limitless has brought that card to the front of my wallet anyways.

I'm still planning a massive PC change to all of my Citi cards next year. I might opt for the Double Cash just in case the Limitless gets nerfed or removed completely for current cardholders. I might get the Prestige but I'll be sure to sign up for Citi Priority first so the annual fee is $350. I may opt for the Costco but I'm still uncertain, or I'll just combine the TY Premier with the AT&T card I have and just get rid of all of them except those two. I could also combine the Prestige, AT&T, and Premier card because they all earn ThankYou Points. All I know is that the Amerian Airlines card is going away because American Airline sucks and their card doesn't offer me any decent benefits. 

Message 6 of 18
marty56
Super Contributor

IMHO because CCs were less common back in the early 80's.  Now everyone has one or at least a debit card or even a reloadable gift card.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 7 of 18
Moneyklutz
Frequent Contributor

@marty56 wrote:

IMHO because CCs were less common back in the early 80's.  Now everyone has one or at least a debit card or even a reloadable gift card.

This...

Credit cards in the past were much the novelty rather than the norm. Cash and checks will soon take that place.

Message 8 of 18
Kree
Established Contributor

I remember when my local McDonalds accepted credit cards, and I went on a trip and was so confused when the McDs a state over didn't.   Then I found out most McDs didn't accept credit cards.  Blew my mind.  The 90s were a weird time.

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a story that takes the cake.

We have a local cash only restaurant.  It's been there for decades but I never knew it was a cash only restaurant.  I even ate there and only had $5 and only ate french fries (met a large group of family there).

I then notice their cash only sign at the cash register.  As it turns out, they have a convenient little ATM inside between the two entry/exit doors.  I would imagine most people who don't realize it's a cash only restaurant go over and take money out of the ATM to pay their bill.

So this restaurant does not want to pay the fees associated with credit cards.  Don't you think they are getting some kind of kickback when people pay fees for withdrawing from their ATM?

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.