Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 vs. Vista

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Windows 7 vs. Vista

Does anyone know the biggest difference in these two? I can't find anything that 7 can do that Vista can't. Everything that Windows advertises is nothing new. Vista does the same thing. I know that a lot people don't like Vista, but I just do not see what 7 does so much better.   
Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: Windows 7 vs. Vista

Windows 64 bit 7 worked right out of the box with all my hardware and software.  Windows 7 has some nice GUI features not in Vista.  Vista sucked and Microsoft should have given it to the Vista users for free.  Worth using.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 2 of 30
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

@marty56, have you tried creating a "god mode" folder yet?
Message 3 of 30
bicknar
Regular Contributor

OK, I'll keep it simple

Vista - Pain in the neck security settings and a resource hog

7 - Much less overtly security sensitive (Don't need a degree to get it to run smooth) and has a much better footprint.  i.e.  boots faster; runs smoother.

That said they both use the aero interface.  They've made some out of the box changes to appearance, but nothing you can't do in Vista.

If you want to upgrade from XP to 7, please be aware that you will need to do a clean install.  In other words, back up everything you need to save.  This is what I would recommend anyway, but if you go from Vista to 7 you can upgade directly.

Hope this helps,

A

Starting Score: 556
Current Score: 672
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 30
Guardian
Valued Contributor

It's mostly performance and usability improvements. My wife loves Vista and she uses 7 now and says she notices very little that she found different. Mostly the core or the kernel is very compact, highly optimized and extremely fast using virtualization. Meaning even on slower machines it will run fast because it can actually emulate the resources the hardware doesn't have by virtually creating them to be used. This makes it faster, more stable and virtually globally solid foundation. The enhancements to the UAC with more variances allowed provides for a more user friendly behavior with less, do you want to allow prompts which most people didn't like. The display and menu systems used for navigation have been made more intelligent and works much more intuitively and allows you to find your stuff better and quicker. So overall in one glance, not much is different about them, but consider 7 leaner, meaner, and more intelligent platform that can run on virtually ANYTHING. Hope that helps.

Common Abbreviations|FDCPA|FCRA
Take the FICO Fitness ChallengeStarting Score: TU:695 - EQ:719 - EX:630
Current Score: TU:712 - EQ:755 - EX:712
Goal Score: TU:800 - EQ:800 - EX:800

Message 5 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I bought my PC with Vista, two months later they came out with 7. Honestly, do any of you think its worth the upgrade? I'm leaning on no, but not sure. 
Message 6 of 30
bicknar
Regular Contributor

One Question:  Does it work for you.  If it aint broke don't fix it <grin>

Message 7 of 30
Guardian
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I bought my PC with Vista, two months later they came out with 7. Honestly, do any of you think its worth the upgrade? I'm leaning on no, but not sure. 

As they say and has been suggested, if it works and you have no problems, then just stick with it, no need to mess with it. HOWEVER, if your system is new enough that you have the upgrade option, TAKE IT, you will be glad that you did. Otherwise, leave it be, don't spend money JUST to upgrade.

Common Abbreviations|FDCPA|FCRA
Take the FICO Fitness ChallengeStarting Score: TU:695 - EQ:719 - EX:630
Current Score: TU:712 - EQ:755 - EX:712
Goal Score: TU:800 - EQ:800 - EX:800

Message 8 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Windows 7 could be though of as a major Service Pack (SP) release for Vista.  It really is Vista with fixes, patches, updates and upgrades. 

You should see a little better compatibility, fixes in security and networking ease, and it is supposed to be a little less resource hogging.

I have a FREE UPGRADE certificate for 2 laptops that I bought right before the W7 release, that I haven't done yet.  But I'll do it just because it's free...gotta love free, right?

Message 9 of 30
bicknar
Regular Contributor

Guardian,

Well Met

A

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.