cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would I be wasting money? Considering a new purchase. iPod touch. $185.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would I be wasting money? Considering a new purchase. iPod touch. $185.

I wanted a gizmo so I could walk around wireless and still take part on the forums and other internet stuff. The Ipod Touch which would cost me between $185 - $245 including tax. Yes this is a very lazy purchase so I can sit on the sofa and play on the internet for personal use.

Is this a waste of money? I'm 50/50% on the idea. I was waiting for them to get cheaper. They have. Are they cheap enough. I don't listen to music. However there are 3 others that do the same thing for wireless internet browsing like Apple iPod touch such as the Archos, Sony and Nokia tablets. But we are getting in to the $300-$375 range if I go there.

What do you think? I'd use it every day but definitely do not need it. Smiley Happy It's not an impulse purchase I've wanted one for 3 years but felt it was a waste of money for $400. Now a device is available for half that. Now I'm not sure... Desire is a clouding thought.

Message Edited by ilovepizza on 10-12-2008 04:15 AM
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Would I be wasting money? Considering a new purchase. Ipod Touch. $185.

Do you want the doodad? Can you afford it? What's the opportunity cost of purchasing it? You have to make that decision. Regardless of what it is for.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 17
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

ilovepizza wrote:

...Desire is a clouding thought. 

lol, and here I am lusting after a MacBook Pro.

As ByrdMan said, with the addendum that I'm a firm believer in an occasional treat, if it doesn't derail something important. Despite the fact that I work two jobs so that one day I don't have to work any Smiley Tongue , I still don't consider myself a rat on the wheel.

OTOH, I'm sitting here on my couch with wireless internet on the laptop, and my fingers actually fit the keys, and I only need my reading glasses to see the screen, not some eensie-weensie keyboard buttons.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

After a full night dreaming about my fun little toy I decided not to buy it until I can first PIF my other debt accruing interest. Doesn't feel right spending money when I have debt.
Message Edited by ilovepizza on 10-09-2008 10:02 PM
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Life is too short to hold out for such a "minimal" purchase in the grand scheme of things!

Enjoy your new Tech Toy! 

Message 5 of 17
LouMinotti
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I wanted a gizmo so I could walk around wireless and still take part on the forums and other internet stuff. The Ipod Touch which would cost me between $185 - $245 including tax. Yes this is a very lazy purchase so I can sit on the sofa and play on the internet for personal use.

Is this a waste of money? I'm 50/50% on the idea. I was waiting for them to get cheaper. They have. Are they cheap enough. I don't listen to music. However there are 2 others that do the same thing for wireless internet browsing like Sony's which does records videos in PC formats and Nokia tablet. But we are getting in to the $300 range if I go there.

What do you think? I'd use it every day but definitely do not need it. Smiley Happy It's not an impulse purchase I've wanted one for 3 years but felt it was a waste of money for $400. Now a device is available for half that. Now I'm not sure... Desire is a clouding thought. 

Keep in mind that the Ipod touch is only wireless when you're around a wireless connection that's free. IOW, it is not like the Iphone where you're wireless at all times anywhere. If you have wireless in your home then your touch will be connected, but if you're at starbucks or the gym or a parking lot while you're SO shops, you won't be connected (unless you pay for it monthly or daily)

My son has the touch and it's amazing. I want one for Christmas, I think. But his room mates father has the iphone and when we moved them into  their apartment in Boston, that Iphone saved our lives as it has that gps thing. I wish apple would just release their product to all cell phone providers, then I would buy 4 of them in a heartbeat for me and my kids. 

July 08 FICO TU/683 EQ/629 EX/658
Goal: 700+ by June 09
Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose.
Message 6 of 17
scramblingin2007
Established Contributor

pizza, if you do purchase one...be sure to take it out of your pocket before washing pants....ds just drowned 2nd ipod in 6 months! Smiley Wink
Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Would I be wasting money? Considering a new purchase. iPod touch. $185.

I'll let my self spend up to $160. lol That's it! Thinking of buying a Sony Com2 instead of the iPod touch. The store is offering a $150 discount for approved new visa card. A new account / inq would result in a -20 drop in scores for 6 months.

Do I save $150 or keep up my scores. Of course no discount no toy.

Opinions needed plz. Thank you. :smileyhappy:

My next desire was an HP Tablet notebook. lol yes, that one costs $950. I don't really need it so I'm not buying it. I'd only use it every other day... Smiley Wink No no no, just the gizmo, that's it! Computer can wait until next year or the year after.

Message Edited by ilovepizza on 10-12-2008 04:36 AM
Message 8 of 17
jaybird201
Established Contributor

I always buy mine refurbished from Apple. Just go to the Apple Store here: http://store.apple.com/us.

On the left-hand side they've got a link to refurbished products that have some good discounts.

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm going to buy it! 

Advice please..

A. Should I have a family member apply for the store visa card to get a discount. I have family members with very old avg age with new accounts already. One more CC would not affect their credit score.

Or

B. Sould I apply for the card myself take the -20 hit for 6 months. After 6 months my score would return to the same place it is now. I could close the store visa card in 6 months, transfer the CL to antother existing card from the same back. Avg age hit would be minimal. I am not punished for accounts under 1 year.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.