Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you buy an iMac?

tag
Dalanar
Regular Contributor

Re: Would you buy an iMac?

Building a PC is not for everyone.  It depends on your level of hands on comfort.  However, if you broke it down to its basic building blocks (motherboard, processor, RAM, computer case), it's really not that complicated.  Indeed there are tons of youtube tutorials that break it down and de-mystify the process for you real well to the point where you're just following someone build a lego contruct.  (Linus Tech Tips on Youtube is a great start)  Just like any hobby, pc building can evolve into an art when it comes to tweaking every little thing to squeeze that extra juice of power and managing the wires and cables aesthetically.

In the end, it's really all about use cases.  Some people see computers as nothing but a portal to the internet and can live by with just a tablet or a Google Chromebook. They typically only need it for media consumption and light office work.  Then you have artists, software developers, and other professionals that need a beefy machine with a polished suite of software to show off their skills or do their work.  Big factors for this group include both screen resolution (5K iMac anyone?) and screen real estate (multiple monitors).Of course, there are those gamers who crave the latest graphics cards and need a versatile and an upgrade-friendly environment (aka pro-PC).  Another less honorable, but no less common, sentiment is that of those who only buy a product because of the product logo and the uh.."status" it conveys. 

Let's not forget about cost.  Many can't justify the cost of a product that, despite its superior polish, won't be used to its fullest potential.

Experian: 729 Equifax: 740 Transunion: 732
Capital One Mastercard: $0.4K, Capital One Quicksilver: $5K, Chase Southwest Premier: $7.5K, Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $24.9K, Discover It: $9.4K, Chase Sapphire Preferred: $16.9K, Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve: $7.7K, Arrival+ BarclayCard MC WE: $7.5K
Message 21 of 27
Luscher
Valued Contributor

LOVE MINE!
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 22 of 27
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Mac guy here.  Main computer at home is an iMac, love it.  2 iPhones at home, plus a MacBook Air.  Work Computer MacBook Air with a big screen.

All very, very good

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 23 of 27
jayman2143
Valued Member

@MidnightVoice wrote:

Mac guy here.  Main computer at home is an iMac, love it.  2 iPhones at home, plus a MacBook Air.  Work Computer MacBook Air with a big screen.

All very, very good

That's what I like to hear! I'm really enjoying this iMac so far. Even started thinking about a MacBook Pro for when I travel with work.

Message 24 of 27
jayman2143
Valued Member

@Dalanar wrote:

Building a PC is not for everyone.  It depends on your level of hands on comfort.  However, if you broke it down to its basic building blocks (motherboard, processor, RAM, computer case), it's really not that complicated.  Indeed there are tons of youtube tutorials that break it down and de-mystify the process for you real well to the point where you're just following someone build a lego contruct.  (Linus Tech Tips on Youtube is a great start)  Just like any hobby, pc building can evolve into an art when it comes to tweaking every little thing to squeeze that extra juice of power and managing the wires and cables aesthetically.

In the end, it's really all about use cases.  Some people see computers as nothing but a portal to the internet and can live by with just a tablet or a Google Chromebook. They typically only need it for media consumption and light office work.  Then you have artists, software developers, and other professionals that need a beefy machine with a polished suite of software to show off their skills or do their work.  Big factors for this group include both screen resolution (5K iMac anyone?) and screen real estate (multiple monitors).Of course, there are those gamers who crave the latest graphics cards and need a versatile and an upgrade-friendly environment (aka pro-PC).  Another less honorable, but no less common, sentiment is that of those who only buy a product because of the product logo and the uh.."status" it conveys. 

Let's not forget about cost.  Many can't justify the cost of a product that, despite its superior polish, won't be used to its fullest potential.

I think if I had a lot of free time I would definitely try getting involved in building my own PC. A lot of guys at work like to build computers and they recommended looking around Newegg for parts and suggestions. I went to that site and WOW. There were things for computers that I never knew existed. A new concept that I learned about: watercooling for a computer. Would have never even crossed my mind if I didn't go to that site. I think I will start doing a little research here and there and seeing where that takes me.

Message 25 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I bought my first around 5 yrs ago (macbook pro 17").  Now I own a new 13" macbook pro, a new iPad & have always had an iPhone since they came out.  I never looked back. Love them!  Love the streaming on all of my devices & never any issues like microsoft has!  And if you have a prob, you can make a FREE appt & have them check it out or give you some help if you need it.  Safari is the best!

Message 26 of 27
jayman2143
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:

I bought my first around 5 yrs ago (macbook pro 17").  Now I own a new 13" macbook pro, a new iPad & have always had an iPhone since they came out.  I never looked back. Love them!  Love the streaming on all of my devices & never any issues like microsoft has!  And if you have a prob, you can make a FREE appt & have them check it out or give you some help if you need it.  Safari is the best!

I love hearing these types of reviews! How are you liking your 13" MacBook Pro? I have been considering getting my girlfriend one when she graduates college in the spring. She has been using a really old laptop that barely works and she is going to be a teacher soon so I think she could really utilize a new laptop. 

Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.