Did you mean: 

Would you take a hard hit for $200?

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Would you take a hard hit for $200?

@Anonymous wrote:
Absolutely not.

You can go through the entire process at a bank without actually applying or hitting the "Submit" button.

Well, that very much depends on what part of the process is of interest.    Stuff like "how long did it take to get the card", "Were the documents that came with the card clear", "Were you notified when to expect a decision?" etc  are certainly part of the customer experience and cannot be done without actually applying

Message 11 of 31
happypill
Valued Contributor

I would only do it if it was a card I had some interest in keeping.  Otherwise, there are other cards I'd rather save my hard inquiries for, and it's not difficult to find sign-on bonuses that beat out the $200 being offered (with some spend).  I guess that would be another possibility, if you want the $200 but can't meet the minimum spend for sign-on bonuses.

Message 12 of 31
mjb59463
Regular Contributor

I'd take a hard hit from Mike Tyson before I took one on my credit report.

#GardenLyfe

Scores: 790 TU (Barclay), 780 EX (Fico8), 790 EQ

Chase Freedom Unlimited (6k), CSP (20k), Amex Delta Platinum (13.5k), Amex Marriott Bonvoy (16k), Barclay Apple (12.5k), USBank Flexperks Travel Rewards (12k), Wells Fargo Visa Signature (10k), Citi Double Cash (8k), Amex Gold, Amex Platinum, Amex BBP (15k) Marriott Bonvoy Boundless (15k)
Message 13 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nope, not for 200.00. I put a dollar value on my inquiries a few years ago and decided If it isn't going to net me 300 to 400 dollars it's a no go  for me.  I forget how I came up with that number, but it wasn't arbitrary. Doing so makes it easier to walk away from some of the deals. 

Message 14 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would have use for the card if I received it.

Currently 19 years old so no mortage/car purchases coming up.

I figured since I'm only 19, the hard will fall off before I'm 21 anyways...

What do you guys think? Should I?

Message 15 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am required to go through the entire process to assess the bank's procedures for new cards.

Message 16 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would you guys do it ?

Message 17 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

For me it's more about AAoA than HP.  Any account with a nice bonus or a card I actually want, or that would have a decent limit that could later be combined is worth a HP and AAoA hit to me.  Basically as long as there's a use it's worth it.  Vs saying taking 200 for a card you don't want and plan to close and can't transfer the limit in the future.

Message 18 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

My credit file is still thin so AAoA is not a big deal right now - still building....

I don't have intentions to close the card

Message 19 of 31
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I work for a mystery shopping company that specializes in banks etc

I'm being offered $200 to go apply for a credit card at BoA - basically I would go apply and write down a lot of details about the process I went through and the service I was provided - it's so the bank can improve their customer service. The company has paid me before so they are not a scam. 

Would you guys take a hard hit for $200? My profile is squeaky clean with 4 credit cards and my EX has 7 hard inqs right now.... FICO 710-730 across the board. 

If I was going to scam someone, I might well pay them a few times to get their confidence, then require them to do things that would reveal all of their permanent personal data, enough data to steal a bunch of money off them. If not now, then in 10 years or so when they have more money to steal.

That is, if I was the sort to scam someone.

It also occurs to me that you should be able to apply with completely bogus data. You would of course be denied the card, but you would reveal no personal data, and would have tested out the process. Or they should be able to give you fake data from the bank that would pass the initial stages but would require additional identity verification, which would allow the bank time to cancel the application. That is, if a bank were dumb enough to ask outside companies to hire people to 'test' the application process, when they can easily do so themselves using interns.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 20 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.