Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you take a hard hit for $200?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Would you take a hard hit for $200?

It's not a scam because I never give my personal information to the consulting company. All personal information goes straight to BoA. 

Message 21 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I work for a mystery shopping company that specializes in banks etc

I'm being offered $200 to go apply for a credit card at BoA - basically I would go apply and write down a lot of details about the process I went through and the service I was provided - it's so the bank can improve their customer service. The company has paid me before so they are not a scam. 

Would you guys take a hard hit for $200? My profile is squeaky clean with 4 credit cards and my EX has 7 hard inqs right now.... FICO 710-730 across the board. 

If I was going to scam someone, I might well pay them a few times to get their confidence, then require them to do things that would reveal all of their permanent personal data, enough data to steal a bunch of money off them. If not now, then in 10 years or so when they have more money to steal.

That is, if I was the sort to scam someone.

It also occurs to me that you should be able to apply with completely bogus data. You would of course be denied the card, but you would reveal no personal data, and would have tested out the process. Or they should be able to give you fake data from the bank that would pass the initial stages but would require additional identity verification, which would allow the bank time to cancel the application. That is, if a bank were dumb enough to ask outside companies to hire people to 'test' the application process, when they can easily do so themselves using interns.

It's not a scam because I never give my personal information to the consulting company. All personal information goes straight to BoA. 

So if they were to steal my info... it would be boa and not the consulting company

Message 22 of 31
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I am on the same page as WaveRider - the HP is one my least concerns, it's about what I get out of the account and the effect it has on my reports.  Do you have to apply for a specific card, or do you get to choose?  Do you already have a banking relationship with BOA?  Those answers would steer my sugestion.  BOA has some great cards and they can be really generous with limits (see my sig on a desktop), even with recently opened accounts.  However, even if the offer were $1000 for something like the Spirit Airlines card they offer, my answer would be a firm no (I think Spirit charges more than that for a carry-on bag and a beer anyway - have they started charging for oxygen yet?). 

Message 23 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

I am on the same page as WaveRider - the HP is one my least concerns, it's about what I get out of the account and the effect it has on my reports.  Do you have to apply for a specific card, or do you get to choose?  Do you already have a banking relationship with BOA?  Those answers would steer my sugestion.  BOA has some great cards and they can be really generous with limits (see my sig on a desktop), even with recently opened accounts.  However, even if the offer were $1000 for something like the Spirit Airlines card they offer, my answer would be a firm no (I think Spirit charges more than that for a carry-on bag and a beer anyway - have they started charging for oxygen yet?). 

I get to choose any BoA card I want - and I do not have a banking relationship with BOA already.

Message 24 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

bump

any advice?

Message 25 of 31
Subexistence
Established Contributor

I'm 18 and I say do it. HP fall off by the time you are 21.

Starting Score: Ex08-732,Eq08-713,Tu08-717
Current Score:Ex08-795,Eq08-807,Tu08-787,EX98-761,Eq04-742
Goal Score: Ex98-760,Eq04-760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

History of my credit
Message 26 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

I say go for it!

So, I'm pretty low income. I've looked into the mystery shopping thing multiple times, signed up for it, and then noped out. They wanted to pay me $20 for about 2 hours of work, not including the time and gas money to drive to and from the place. When adding up gas, wear and tear on my vehicle, and the price of whatever else I could be doing with my time (like finding a better paying gig), I saw there was practically no money to be earned.

If you are earning with mystery shopping, you are probably badly in need of it. When you're badly in need of money, $200 is worth a heck of a lot more than what non-desperate folks value it as.

Message 27 of 31
joltdude
Senior Contributor

It seems like this is not a bad deal, if op is honest about all the details... Picking a card you want from a known bank and just apping... Yeah the 200$ could make it sweeter... esp if  the chosen card has an offer on top of it..... I'd do it.. eventually id like a BoA card but it have to be a card I desire... not a churn and burn...

-J

Message 28 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

bump

any advice?

There is an opportunity cost to applying.  Say down the road there is a card that you really want and you apply and are turned down for too many INQs.  $200 is not worth it for potentially opening up the door to identity theft. 

Message 29 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

For bank of america, you bet!  Hopefully you go for the BBR before it ends!

Capital one, no way.

Message 30 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.