Did you mean: 

You know your Old when....

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: You know your Old when....

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
UncleB you are old Smiley Wink Did you see the creation of the Earth? "knuckle-busters" ... oh ooo ....

When God said, "Let there be light" I flipped on the switch. smiley-laughing021.gif

LOL... I'm actually not quite that old, but I'm reminded daily that I'm certainly not young... Smiley Very Happy

Hey couldn't help but notice your avitar UncleB, i had a copy of that album on cassete tape. You certainly are not young...lol.

Message 11 of 33
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

When Visa was named Bank of America or Bank Americard

When Mastercard was known as Master Charge

When Discover was the NEC Card

When standard interest (APR) was 1.5% per month and capped at 18% per year on all cards.

and yes.... I carried all of those back in the day .....

Message 12 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

lol  I remember standing in line at the PX (mid 80s) and as I pulled out my amex the young soldier standing next to me and exclaimed "my god...you must have great credit!!" I had 4 cards..lol...if he could see my wallet now!!! rofl he would crap his britches

Message 13 of 33
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

When...

An Amoco Torch Diners Club card was cool.

My Discover card was black

AT&T Universal card came out and I signed up as a charter member with no annual fee guaranteed for life.

I found out my Ford Pinto station wagon did not have the exploding gas tank design flaw found in the sedan version.

Color TV was not available

saber tooth tigers roamed the world

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 14 of 33
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
UncleB you are old Smiley Wink Did you see the creation of the Earth? "knuckle-busters" ... oh ooo ....

When God said, "Let there be light" I flipped on the switch. smiley-laughing021.gif

LOL... I'm actually not quite that old, but I'm reminded daily that I'm certainly not young... Smiley Very Happy

Hey couldn't help but notice your avitar UncleB, i had a copy of that album on cassete tape. You certainly are not young...lol.

I've been changing my avatar monthly this year... you're the first person to notice!  Smiley Very Happy

I did 'Superunknown' back in April or I would have it now... R.I.P. Chris Cornell.

Message 15 of 33
Subexistence
Established Contributor

If FICO wasn't out and cards didn't give cashback, why did you guys bother to get them?Prestige?

~18 year old.

Starting Score: Ex08-732,Eq08-713,Tu08-717
Current Score:Ex08-795,Eq08-807,Tu08-787,EX98-761,Eq04-742
Goal Score: Ex98-760,Eq04-760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

History of my credit
Message 16 of 33
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Subexistence wrote:

If FICO wasn't out and cards didn't give cashback, why did you guys bother to get them?Prestige?

~18 year old.

People will have their own reasons, but for me it was convenience and perks. 

Message 17 of 33
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

American Express introduced their first charge cards in 1958-59 mainly a travel and entertainment card for "business" but the fact remains that charge cards and credit cards were used instead of cash which is the primary reason to use them today. "Rewards" as in miles or points or cash back are a fairly new so called benefit, I say so called because those extra benefits come at a cost.

When I carried an AmEx Platinum the AF was $300 and you had to be invited to upgrade from the Gold Card, today just about anyone can qualify for a AmEx Platinum, AF = $550. MC/V "rewards" are paid for by higher swipe fees which in turn increase the cost of doing business which in turn raises the price of goods sold or as an alternate sends the manufature of that "brandname" offshore to China or India to decrease the cost of the brandname product. 

Signature Visa, World Elite MC, Black Cards, Metal cards, etc are all marketing - very few "customers" ever use the so called benefits, but we all pay for the status-ego factor. It has very little to do with getting cards to improve FICO scores or anything else, it's all marketing and its trillions of dollars in revenue streams, including turning the 1 trillion dollar combined credit card balances into interest paying bonds that are again sold as investments on the secondary financial markets. 

The public loves to spend and the lenders love to have them over spend - its big business that makes all sides smile, until one meets the Junk Debt Buyers in court. 

Message 18 of 33
805orbust
Valued Contributor

I remember using my Amex to pay for an oil change back in the 80s and there was a book about the size of an encyclopedia that the cashier used to look up my card number to check it's validity. I think it was issued quarterly. Really.  Then of course ran it through the old carbon copy thing. But I'll NEVER forget the encyclopedia. 

Oh, all of this happened while we watched poor little Michael Jackson change in front of our eyes.  

I ate those godawful Wheaties in the 70s because Bruce Jenner was such a stud. My hero... if I only had known I would been running with Tony the Tiger and Toucan Sam SO MUCH SOONER!!

Message 19 of 33
driftless
Valued Contributor

@Subexistence wrote:

~18 year old.

Umm, travel, seeing the world, building your future, etc.  Although I still remember Amex travel checks.  
CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 20 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.