Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your telemarketer/Door to door salespeople stories

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your telemarketer/Door to door salespeople stories

I was actually typing this out in reply in the relationships and credit forum about handling collection agency calls from an ex wife and since I started rambling on for awhile I thought it deserved its own thread. Don't want to hijack a thread and ramble on chewing the fat. Gotta stay on the mods good side. Smiley Happy

Has anyone ever delt with annoying telemarketers or door to door sales?

About 8 years ago when I first moved into my college dorm for the first time I shortly started getting calls from a collection agency. Never happened when I was home so like the first 3 or 4 times my roomate was telling me someone was calling for me, which I knew can't be right as I had never given my dorm room number to anyone, not even my parents. I didn't even know what the phone number to my dorm room was. lol Smiley Very Happy

In any case they finally called when I was there and it was a collection agency. Turned out the guy they wanted had a very similar name to mine and it was all cleared up. Still creeps me out how someone can know a phone number where I live, when I don't even know the number. Smiley Indifferent

I did get a phone call that same semester, completely unrelated, and I forgot what it was about but it was unsolicited telemarketer crap. The person on the other end seemed friendly and was asking me various questions, then asked for my social security number. I was completely ignorant to credit back then but I knew something was up and nothing good can happen by giving that out. When I said I wouldn't answer that question the lady on the other end went from friendly to insulting. Forgot the details exactly but basically teased me about being afraid to give that out over the phone. I just hung up.

This was before the CARD act of course, and since she asked for my social security number I can only assume it was credit related, maybe a credit card. Did credit card companies ever call unsolicited peddling applications?

My roomate also got a similar call. Only he reacted by saying a few cuss words and throwing the phone on the floor and having it spin like a top. This was at the beginning of the semester when we got the spam calls.

Also at the beginning of the semester those darn door to door magazine people came to our dorm room. Of course they do not just walk away and not wanting to be rude I actually talked to them. They sounded so upbeat and friendly, of course their tune changed once they finally stopped chatting and tried to sell a magazine, then I had to tell them I had no money or job. They sure were pushy though and when they sold a magazine they put a sticker on the door, I looked down the hall of the dorms and noticed most doors had stickers on them. I have googled the door to door magazine people and it is mostly bad. At best they will just take your money and you won't ever see any magazines, at worst they could attack or rob you.

The next year though there was no door to door salespeople or unsolicited calls. The university put a stop to it, probably got a large number of complaints. Nowadays in my apartment I don't answer the door if I don't know the person, and I don't answer the phone if I don't recognize the number. Nothing good can ever come from unsolicited crap. If I want magazine subscriptions/credit cards/ or any other stuff I always do it on my own terms.

Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.