Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bottom feeder debt calls

tag
meehan22
Frequent Contributor

bottom feeder debt calls

Got a call today that about freaked me out. It was from Diversified Consultants for a overdue Sprint bill. They gave me an address that I hadn't lived at since 2006. Said I opened up a Sprint account in January of 2007 and never made a payment and the bill was given to them in late 2008.  I had them clarify when it was opened and that I never made a payment.. they repeated and I hung up. 

Yup, it is a valid debt from when I was 19 and being an idiot. But since I never made a payment the first date of delinquency would have been in February/March. We are at May now. I barley escaped it from ever reporting. But I'll be keeping a close eye on my reports for the next few months to make sure they never do report it. 

For once, I escaped. Funny how I get this call after working tirelessly for 7 years paying off everything and getting a 100% satisfied credit report this CA called, and just a little bit short or I sure would've paid them. To bad. 

I am debating if I should send a DV, but if I do than they can get a new address for me. I never gave out my new address over the phone and they just went into the call. Do I leave it alone and ignore future calls to not awake a possible problem? 

Wallet: Chase $6,000 - Discover $1,500 - Walmart $2,200 - Voyage FCU $1,300 - Zales $2,300 - Elan Fin: $12,500(AU, reporting) - Chase $8,500 (AU, reporting) 1% UTL
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: bottom feeder debt calls

In my opinon, if it's a legit bill, pay it.

As for your current address....gotta wonder how did they get your current phone number?  Is your current phone number billed to your current address?  It probably is and they (CA) can easily get it.  It sounds like the CA was giving information about the account when it was opened.

If you do decide to DV or to pay it, you can remind the CA that the SOL has passed [if it has for your state] and that the debt can not be reported on your CR.

The CA may respond that it can be reported for up to 7.5 yrs after date of first delinquency.  And some would agree with that.  But you are close to the 7.5 year mark anyway.  They may not even bother with thinking about reporting it to the CB since it's 7+ years now, especially if they receive payment.

Message 2 of 3
meehan22
Frequent Contributor

Re: bottom feeder debt calls

I do skiptracing at work, so I know its only a matter of time until they send out a validation letter to my actual address. 

I think i'll send a DV requesting all information and an itemized statement so I can see what the first date of delinquency is, if its past that than I know I have a huge amount of leverage for a settlement. 

The 7.5 year mark is a matter of give or take a few months. If I DV it I can hold it off possibly for a month, request no contact via phone. And might be able to keep it off that way. 

After posting that last night my morals came back a little bit and that I need to take care of it or end up getting calls and new collection agency calls and crap I no longer want to deal with. Smiley Happy 

Wallet: Chase $6,000 - Discover $1,500 - Walmart $2,200 - Voyage FCU $1,300 - Zales $2,300 - Elan Fin: $12,500(AU, reporting) - Chase $8,500 (AU, reporting) 1% UTL
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.