Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can someone pls help me?

tag
2NE1
Established Contributor

can someone pls help me?

I've tried Google and couldn't find any info.

I'd like to know how to file for a divorce. I'm helping a family member out. He hasn't been living with spouse for over 8 years. He has no idea where the spouse currently resides at, he has no contact with her... does this matter? I was reading that you have to send some type of papers certified mail to the spouse (some Waiver and Acceptance form? and a VS-4 form?). What forms does he exactly have to fill out? and where do we get/find these forms at? the courthouse? how long does this process take? The state is Virginia. I'm not sure if the marriage was in VA or PA cause he previously used to live with her in PA. Would this be a problem?

TIA!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: can someone pls help me?

The friend needs to file in the state he is residing in.  What state is that?

He needs to send the divorce papers to her last known address, CMRR.

He will need to place an ad in the paper (the courts or lawyer will know the details and verbage).  

After xx amount of time has passed, he goes in for his hearing.  If she doesn't respond, he is granted the divorce by default.

Message 2 of 3
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

Re: can someone pls help me?

I'm not sure how it works in VA but in California we have self-help centers and libraries at the county courthouse. You can go in and they will tell you what forms and procedures you need to complete what you are attempting. They will not tell you how to fill in the forms as that is considered legal advice but it is pretty simple.

I got divorced from a spouse with no known location many years ago. As mentioned above I was required to publish a notice in our local paper (last location where we lived together) for about 3-4 weeks. No response from her and the divorce was granted on the terms that I requested.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.