Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cell phones

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

cell phones

Okay, so I've been living out of the US for 6 years and now I'm moving back. I'm going to need a cell phone. I may just do the prepaid, since I don't like the idea of being handcuffed to a contract for years.

The problem is I don't have any clue which phone to get. I can tell you all about Japanese phones. (We can get TV signals, can you?) What are standard features, calling plans, etc? Are roaming charges still stupid-high, or has that improved? Do most phones have internet and messaging? What do you have?

I don't particularly want an iphone just to have one, but if you have one, tell me why you like it.

I also had a bill with verizon that went to collections several years ago. As I safe in assuming I can't go to them, even if I wanted to?

Inform me, o wise ones.
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: cell phones

DI (Idiot) and I have a family plan with AT&T. I got a basic phone, it's an LG. It has the normal stuff, web browsing, a camera, video,call forwarding, call waiting, voice mail,  roaming is free, long distance is free alot of stuff I don't actually use.

If I could find the actual model number, it may help. I paid about 200 for it and even after dropping it in a cup of water (don't ask!) it is still alive and kicking. (IF you ever do drop it in water, remove the battery and place the pieces in a bag of rice for a couple of days. It will soak out the moisture)
Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Free roaming and long distance sounds good.

Also, LOL at "Dear Idiot." I'm glad you can joke about it, but take care of yourself and get out of there.

Message 3 of 18
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

DH and I are happy with our basic LG's. LG-VX5300

DD#1 is disenchanted with her Chocolate. LG-VX8500

DD#2 still loves her Samsung. SCH-U740

DS is on his own; don't know what he has.

We're with Verizon, I'm afraid. And they're dangling Blackberries at me now. Hmmm....

Isn't iPhone exclusive to AT&T, or whatever they're called this month?
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 18
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Okay, so I've been living out of the US for 6 years and now I'm moving back. I'm going to need a cell phone. I may just do the prepaid, since I don't like the idea of being handcuffed to a contract for years.

The problem is I don't have any clue which phone to get. I can tell you all about Japanese phones. (We can get TV signals, can you?) What are standard features, calling plans, etc? Are roaming charges still stupid-high, or has that improved? Do most phones have internet and messaging? What do you have?

I don't particularly want an iphone just to have one, but if you have one, tell me why you like it.

I also had a bill with verizon that went to collections several years ago. As I safe in assuming I can't go to them, even if I wanted to?

Inform me, o wise ones.

Depends what you want it for. Just to keep in touch with a limited number of people? Instead of a land line? To take movies, give you email and generally ruin your life by giving you no peace anywhere?

Each of those options has a different answer!
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 5 of 18
atlastontheroad
Established Contributor

@MidnightVoice wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Inform me, o wise ones.

Depends what you want it for. Just to keep in touch with a limited number of people? Instead of a land line? To take movies, give you email and generally ruin your life by giving you no peace anywhere?

Each of those options has a different answer!

I'd just had a first generation camera phone for a few months.  On a very sad trip home, it wound up at the bottom of the washing machine.  At the time, I just shrugged, took the battery out, put it on the dresser and went to sleep.

It worked the next day and for 2 years following without a problem.

I wrote the story to Samsung with the title "Takes a licking and keeps on ticking is NOTHING"  - I'm loyal to Samsung to this day. 

Oh, and Sprint, while somewhat pricey, has had very good marks in CS and has made bill adjustments several times when the prodigal daughter has messed up with internet and texting.

just my $.07 with inflation

atlast.......

Ficos 2/17/08: TU 551 EQ 534 EX 587
Ficos 2/12/09 TU 695 EQ 715 EX 715
Fico...4/15/10....drumroll.....EQ 743
Message 6 of 18
Scamp
Valued Contributor

If Siemens were still in the cell phone-making industry, I'd recommend them, and if BenQ is available in Japan (they bought that bit of Siemens), you might look into their phones and get a SIM card, unlocked one that'd work on the US network before you come here - both my Siemens have been tough as nails; the second (current) one, the S66 (S65 outside the US) has been dropped on the ground multiple times, dropped in water twice and, after having a temporary nervous breakdown while it dried out, went back to normal once it did. Nice camera, memory card slot at the bottom, access to web-based email plus its own email, SMS/MMS and IM, and more.  I'm not giving up this phone until it dies the final death!

My Sony-Ericcson z520a is okay - only use it on vacations to NZ or Oz because my Siemens doesn't have the right band for down there.  Nifty light effects, ok camera, same kind of messaging and limited web-browsing ability as the Siemens, downloadable games and ringtones, wallpapers, etc.  Only thing that really annoys me about it is that the screen goes dark after only about 5 seconds, so reading an email or news article, etc., has you constantly pressing keys just to keep the screen lit.

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 7 of 18
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I have sprint and a samsung something. Not real fond of the because it is not rugged. Been dropped a couple of times and now has lines running through it. But I guess I can't complain. It was not supposed to be a free phone but they gave it to me to lure me in.
Message 8 of 18
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I guess it would all depend on if you want complex or simple.

Both of us have service via AT&T.

DW has the 1st generation I-Phone, but wants the new one that was just released. Got it for her last Christmas. She uses it a an mp3 player. Shows Youtube videos on it. Uses it as a GPS. Email. Web browser (that feature isn't that bad). Survived being dropped in a toilet (no, it had been flushed first).

I have a Treo 750. Internet is slow. But I use the contacts and e-mail all the time from it. Use it as an mp3 player. I am unhappy with the non-compatibility with several of the sites I visit, even though it uses Windows and IE. The touch screen did crack on me (I didn't even drop it), but it still functions well. I wouldn't get it again.
Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

stef37 wrote:
 even after dropping it in a cup of water (don't ask!) it is still alive and kicking. (IF you ever do drop it in water, remove the battery and place the pieces in a bag of rice for a couple of days. It will soak out the moisture)

I have to say......I read this earlier in the morning and thought "so soaking it in rice does work". I read that in my manual but wondered if it actually worked, was hoping not to find out.

Then............I went and got in the pool with the kids. About two hours in I saw my phone buzzing off the deck and through the air, only to watch it in land in said pool. Gotta love 3 year olds going through the terrible twos. Although, he doesn't love me, I've told him he has to sell his toys and pay for my phone.

I soaked in rice for about 4 hours. Couldn't wait no longer, so filed insurance claim and paid my $50 deductible and got me a new one.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.