Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

favorite way to save $$$

tag
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Re: favorite way to save $$$

My favorite grocery store has finally finished building their associated gas station.  I buy all my stuff there & I save .10 per gallon on every $100 I spend in the store.  When things I use a lot go on sale, I stock the pantry & the freezer.  Last month, my gas was $2.16 per gal for mid grade, which adds up, when I drive 500 miles per week for work! 

ALL my change goes in a jar.  I roll it & deposit in savings.  I also receive a $250 check every mo from work for my vehicle...that goes in savings too.

Things I cannot give up....my mid grade gas & my hot breakfast.  A bowl of cereal lasts me about an hour then I'm a low-sugar mess Smiley Sad

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 11 of 23
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

My favorite way to save money is not to spend it.  Smiley Happy

Yes my wife calls me a scrooge!!!

Message 12 of 23
sllbaker
Valued Member

@MarineVietVet wrote:

My favorite way to save money is not to spend it.  Smiley Happy

Yes my wife calls me a scrooge!!!

and it's marinevietvet FTW!!  Best answer ever.

Starting Score: EQ529 TU?
Current Score: EQ752 TU 749
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 23
keith021
Regular Contributor

I use coupons and consider generic/store brand products. Most generic/store brand products taste the same and sometimes are actually the same products with different labels! My mom worked for a bakery before and said Hostess and Winn Dixie cookies were the same, they just changed the packaging. She brought home a pack of Hostess chocolate chip cookies and Winn Dixie brand; and they taste the same.

I'm picky with which items I do buy that are generic/store brand. EX: yellow American sandwich cheese is something I wouldn’t buy generic/store brand because of the sweet taste; Kraft only! Things like eggs, milk, rice, etc. still pretty much taste the same so why waste money? 

Starting Score: 665
Current Score: 715
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 14 of 23
fused
Moderator Emeritus

I do the following to save money:

When I need cloths, I go to second hand stores or dumpster dive

For cheap eats, I buy canned goods, rice, dried beans and frozen meat

When its hot, I don't run the AC or turn on a fan, I like it hot

Message 15 of 23
mod-moose
Administrator Emeritus

We bought a professional set of clippers and I cut my DH's hair ever 3 - 4 weeks. 

mod.moose
Message 16 of 23
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

@mod-moose wrote:
We bought a professional set of clippers and I cut my DH's hair ever 3 - 4 weeks. 

I guess that's OK, as long as he's got just that one...

:smileyvery-happy:

(Couldn't resist, sorry...I was a victim of the infamous "Flobee Experiment" by DW some years back.  My barber never lets me forget that!)

Message Edited by Uborrow-Upay on 02-10-2010 07:31 AM
Message 17 of 23
mod-moose
Administrator Emeritus

Uborrow-Upay wrote:

@mod-moose wrote:

I guess that's OK, as long as he's got just that one...

:smileyvery-happy:

(Couldn't resist, sorry...I was a victim of the infamous "Flobee Experiment" by DW some years back.  My barber never lets me forget that!)

Message Edited by Uborrow-Upay on 02-10-2010 07:31 AM

Orginially we bought a pretty cheap clipper with guide combs to see if this was something I could do. DH has a beautiful head of hair and I was always worried I'd mess it up.  We used the cheap set for almost 4 years so when it was dying we decided to splurge for the good clippers.  Both our sons have the good clippers and raved about it.  

We always wondered about the Flobee...so they don't work?

mod.moose
Message 18 of 23
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

mod-moose wrote: "...We always wondered about the Flobee...so they don't work?..."

Oh, the Flobee worked just fine...unfortunately, the "what's in the box" did not include a competent operator, or a "practice head".

Wanna know what I ended up with? Think old gangster movies, at the end where the bad guy finally gets strapped into Ole Sparky. Remember the bald spot on the top of his head where they put his "electric hat"? That's pretty close...

Sounds like you've had plenty of experience to learn how to do it the right way. Good way to save a few bucks, around these parts, a haircut goes for $14 + tip.

mod-moose wrote: "...DH has a beautiful head of hair and I was always worried I'd mess it up..."

My DW doesn't worry about such things! :smileysad:

Enough said.

Message Edited by Uborrow-Upay on 02-11-2010 06:34 AM
Message 19 of 23
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi Everyone- I was wondering what everyones favorite way to save money is?  I know mine are the local Aveda Institute (Hmmmmm scalp massage!) and food programs like angelfood ministries. 

Well, I finally got around to doing something I meant to do a few years ago.  I replaced every lightbulb inside and outside the house with a CFL.  Did this in mid-January.

Got the bill for January's electric, and saved a little over $26 already (and that's for just half a month)!  I'm actually looking forward to seeing February's bill now.

Total out-of-pocket for the bulbs was $138.  Most of that cost was for the outside floodlights and the inside, dimmable floods.  The rest of the bulbs I actually made money on when I bought them because of discount coupons...Lowe's purchase price $7.92, discount coupon included in package: $10 off next purchase.

Figured I'd pass this along.

And I wish I'd done this when I first meant to do it, I bet I'd have at least an extra grand in my pocket right now!

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.