Did you mean: 

happy good riddance day!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: happy good riddance day!

@Anonymous wrote:

or happy new year!

this next year i plan to stop over spending on silly things, not blow all my vacation days by the third week in january and stop smoking (please help me jesus with that one) and read more books

what are you saying good riddance to for 2009?

Happy New Year, pgsparx, & wishing you the best as far as stopping smoking.

Personally speaking, it is probably the most difficult thing I've ever done, but if I can do it, anybody can!  It took me more than 25 attempts in almost 6 years, but so far, so good at 6 1/2 months tobacco-free! 

It goes without saying that the first few days are the most difficult, & it gets easier with time.  The time-frame can vary, but I noticed that after the first 2-3 weeks, the cravings began to subside. 

Aside from the most important aspect of quitting (health reasons), another thing that helped me was putting all the money I would have spent on cigarettes in a piggy-bank. 

You can do it!  Smiley Happy  

Message 11 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

bucket, i will do my level best.  i tried quitting twice before and only lasted 6 months.  my sister has been smoke free for several years now and she's totally an inspiration.

thanks for the encouragement!

i haven't picked my quit date yet, probably in the spring as winter blues are bad for me and a pretty stressful time at work

Message 12 of 23
MattH
Senior Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@WhirledPeasPlease wrote:

... socks that no longer have mates...

YES!!!

Like all my missing teaspoons, they ain't coming back, folks!

In my experience the best way to find a long-lost glove or sock is to chuck out the one that can't be matched: it seems like about half the time shortly after doing that its mate turns upSmiley Mad

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 13 of 23
MattH
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

bucket, i will do my level best.  i tried quitting twice before and only lasted 6 months.  my sister has been smoke free for several years now and she's totally an inspiration.

thanks for the encouragement!

i haven't picked my quit date yet, probably in the spring as winter blues are bad for me and a pretty stressful time at work

One of my colleagues has attempted to quit numerous times without success; prior to each attempt he warns everybody, "I'm gonna be cranky next week..."

Seriously, consider getting a nicotine patch or other nicotine replacement product, as there is substantial evidence those are among the most effective ways to quit smoking. 

nicotine replacement

Article concludes: "we can be sure that nicotine patches will almost double the number of people stopping smoking at six to 12 months."

Remember, while nicotine is not good for you, many of the bad effects from smoking are due to other components of the smoke so even if you remain dependent on nicotine replacement indefinitely that's much better than continuing to smoke.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 14 of 23
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

haulingthescoreup wrote:

WhirledPeasPlease wrote:

YES!!!

Yeah, what's with that? I started the set with 16, the other day I counted 13 and the dishwasher was empty. All I could think is that the ex now has a few mismatched teaspoons in her drawer. Smiley Mad (darn kids)

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 23
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

ByrdMan wrote:

haulingthescoreup wrote:

WhirledPeasPlease wrote:

YES!!!

Yeah, what's with that? I started the set with 16, the other day I counted 13 and the dishwasher was empty. All I could think is that the ex now has a few mismatched teaspoons in her drawer. Smiley Mad (darn kids)

All I can guess is that if you flipped our youngest's car upside down and gave a good shake, a couple dozen would come rattling out. But that doesn't explain the disappearing act by spoons from the time she was about 2 until she got her driver's license!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 16 of 23
scramblingin2007
Established Contributor

@Junejer wrote:

@WhirledPeasPlease wrote:

YES!!!

All I can guess is that if you flipped our youngest's car upside down and gave a good shake, a couple dozen would come rattling out. But that doesn't explain the disappearing act by spoons from the time she was about 2 until she got her driver's license!

Okay, I just found 2 teaspoons in the couch cushions...and 1 in an empty yogurt cup under DS#!1 bed!!!!! Darn kids is right Hauling...
Message 17 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for the link, bucket

my sis quit several years ago using the patch.  i think i'll give it a try

Message 18 of 23
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

I am betting that they are in my DD's car, as they have a horrible habit of not leaving enough time to sit down and eat breakfast before school, so they are all eating Cream of Wheat or yogurt on the way to school. The thing that baffles me is that I have all of my bowls.

haulingthescoreup wrote:

ByrdMan wrote:

haulingthescoreup wrote:

WhirledPeasPlease wrote:

YES!!!

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 19 of 23
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

ByrdMan wrote:
I am betting that they are in my DD's car, as they have a horrible habit of not leaving enough time to sit down and eat breakfast before school, so they are all eating Cream of Wheat or yogurt on the way to school. The thing that baffles me is that I have all of my bowls.

lol, now that's scary.

Speaking of things that kids do in cars that they shouldn't, DD#2 (the spoon thief) casually mentioned the other day that she thought her New Year's resolution would be to stop text messaging while driving. Smiley Surprised

I swear, I can now feel grey hairs popping out! *sproing* *sproing*

I never thought she was that dumb. Her friends always used to call her "Granny" because she was such a careful, paranoid driver.

One of her roommates' friends died over the weekend on the way to some concert in Oklahoma. Sitting in the back seat, no seatbelt, driver crashed, he was thrown from the SUV (which rolled three times and burned) and pretty much died from unsurvivable brain trauma. He would have been 20 this coming Thursday. Driver and front-seat passenger were wearing belts and walked away.

I'm wondering if there's a link between this and the resolution...
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.