cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hilton head island was good, would have been great but.....

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: hilton head island was good, would have been great but.....

@Anonymous wrote:
i would whole heartidly agree with this if it weren't for the fact that they were actively peddling san dollars, starfish, and all manner of other dead critters at the shops all over the island.

what makes those sea critters they are selling any less protected than the ones on thier beach? if they put thier buis practices and economic lives in line with thier green laws i would at least respect them. however, when you preach one thing and throw it out the window when it inconveiniences you then i have trouble respecting the law and sentiment behind it.

I don't know if you read my post on the subject, but I did explain that! Smiley Wink

The critters that you're seeing are either imported from other countries or are sold by companies that paid for the right (AKA a license) to sell them in accordance with "thinning the herd" and creating revenue for the local G&W to fund their programs.

Sort of like 'Gator boots .... a person killing 'gators for sport is illegal in most areas, but many companies/people pay a nominal fee to the local gov (or wildlife agency) to kill them and sell products made from them.

And the selective process of "who gets to do what" keeps OUR habitat from being overrun AND generates revenue to keep the protective laws enforced.
Message 11 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: hilton head island was good, would have been great but.....

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
i would whole heartidly agree with this if it weren't for the fact that they were actively peddling san dollars, starfish, and all manner of other dead critters at the shops all over the island.

what makes those sea critters they are selling any less protected than the ones on thier beach? if they put thier buis practices and economic lives in line with thier green laws i would at least respect them. however, when you preach one thing and throw it out the window when it inconveiniences you then i have trouble respecting the law and sentiment behind it.

I don't know if you read my post on the subject, but I did explain that! Smiley Wink

The critters that you're seeing are either imported from other countries or are sold by companies that paid for the right (AKA a license) to sell them in accordance with "thinning the herd" and creating revenue for the local G&W to fund their programs.

Sort of like 'Gator boots .... a person killing 'gators for sport is illegal in most areas, but many companies/people pay a nominal fee to the local gov (or wildlife agency) to kill them and sell products made from them.

And the selective process of "who gets to do what" keeps OUR habitat from being overrun AND generates revenue to keep the protective laws enforced.

i did read it. and i'm sorry, but i just don't agree w/selective species enforcment and pimping out parts of the population just because they came from a developing country that is willing/needing to sell them .

as for the gator boots, that's no differant than saying you need a hunting or fishing license to harvest for that game. they don't say american gators are off limits and have unfettered importation of foreign gator products (at least i don't think so).

heck i would have paid a fee to take "patrick" as i dubbed him home.
Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.