Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how much are you approved for?

tag
30sClub
Valued Member

how much are you approved for?

I'm curious to see if there are correlations between income, FICO, and debt that banks look at before approving for high CL. So far, I have noticed why reading the forums that there is an odd correlations between the three.

My experience thus far: I have an income of 45k last year, an increased of 15k from the previous year. I have installment debt of about 36k, and about 10k in revolving debt. I have been "gardening" since 2011. My recent FICO score was 746. I went and app for Amex Everyday, CSP, and BC Ring. They were all approved. 17k CSP, 10k BC Ring, and 2k Amex. I guess I didn't need the Amex other than to add to my porfoilo and backdating.

So what are your scores, income, and debt for approvals?

Starting Score: 746
Current Score: 746
Goal Score: 800+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
ptilda
Established Contributor

Re: how much are you approved for?

It seems to me that it's related to history and competitive motivation. But you're probably right. I'm in the high 600s- low 700s. But just establishing cc history in the past 6 months. Suddenly limits are breaking 4 digits where before they were baby limits. Income 37k. Debt is 125k student loans (all in good standing).
My Wallet:Fidelity Amex $1K, DCU $3.9K, US Bank AeroMexico $300, Quicksilver $1.3K, Cap1 secured MC $750, DiscoverIT $200, Care Credit $5K, Sportsman Guide Visa $3K, Kay $3K, Jared $3K,American Airlines CC $3K, Amazon $2.9k, Walmart $2.2k, Macy's $800 revolving/$5k furniture, Comenity retail cards $5.55kStarting Score: 618Current Score: 711
Message 2 of 4
Stanic413
Regular Contributor

I don't apply for cards often, but my income has increased with each spree I do.  My amount of debt is my biggest downfall.  Income almost $60k with $60k in student and auto loans, CC debt was around $6k. FICO scores below.  My last spree over a month ago resulted in highest CLs, two cards at $5,000.  Prior to that CLs were $1500-ish and income at that time was upper $40s. 

18k10k7.6k10k10k5k5.6k1.7k2k
Federal CU PLOC: $5k
Scores, Dec. 2014- TU: 755 EX: 763 EQ: 757
Last App: 12/8/14. In the garden until Jan 2016, getting "mortgage" ready.
Message 3 of 4
azguy13
Senior Contributor

There is absolutely a correlation between income, FICO score, and DTI. That does not mean that your income is included in your FICO score though. 

If you were a bank, would you give someone a $10K CL when they only make $20K a year and their DTI is 80% ?

In fact, this is a huge reason why whenever you app for either a new TL or a CLI, they ask your income AND rent/mortgage. This aids in figuring your DTI. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.