Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMac users on FICO Forums?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

iMac users on FICO Forums?

Are there any IMac or other Apple users who frequent myFICO?  I just got my first 22".

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: iMac users on FICO Forums?

Just purchased an Mac Air 13 inch.  I should receive it Saturday.  My first Mac.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yea!  I'll bet you'll like it.  During the '80s all I had were Apples and then for the last 20 years I stuck with PCs.  Last month I bought a 22 inch iMac and it works like a dream.

Message 3 of 22
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I just converted to Apple last November. So far so good.

Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

What machine did you get from Apple, llecs?

Message 5 of 22
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

What machine did you get from Apple, llecs?

I grew up knowing only the Vic20,  TRS80, the Commodore64, Commodore128 (I'm dating myself a bit...someone will post: "what's a computer?" I know it), then I remember playing with the Apple2e (Oregon Trail!), then the old Mac, a Tandy 1000TX (DOS at it's best), then morphed into PCs for the past 20 or so. That's all I knew. It wasn't until 2 years ago that I purchased iPhones for DW and I that I fell in love with Apple. I guess it was their witty commercials and great customer service at the Apple stores.

Anyway last November, my Dell and it's Windows updated one too many times and it was slower than molassas. I didn't need a new computer, but DW wanted an iPad for a biz we run remotely and let slipped to the sales rep that my next purchase would be Apple. That salesman was good and we purchased a 17" Macbook Pro along with the iPad. I love it. I was nervous about the change, I think I even posted in here asking for adivce on whether or not to switch, but Apple makes great computers.

And their service is great. Within 2 weeks of getting it, then-5y.o. DS#1 spilled some fluids next to the computer and it soaked into it overnight. The next morning it didn't work. I delayed going to Apple for nearly a month and when I went back, they opened it up and it was rusted completely inside. He said it was trash. I was prepared to eat the cost because it was our bad, but Apple shipped it to Texas free of charge and replaced everything inside. Works like new now. If my Dell did the same, M. Dell himself would likely laugh at me.

I over-answered, but Apple is great!

Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I first used computers in 1968 (a Univac 1050-II.)  In the mid-seventies I was a user on what would become the Internet.  We had a PLATO lab at Sheppard AFB which cost us $250,000 per month for access through the University of Illinois (UC.)   We had e-mail for the few thousand users worldwide with access and even chat (We called it "term talk" for "terminal talk.")  Those CRT's were so large you'd get a hernia trying to move 'em.

I remember the Vic 20. A guy in my office bought one (or was it a Commodore 64?), hooked it up to a small television and showed us how he had programmed it to show the time. We were all impressed (he used a magnetic tape to store data.)  We used IIE's later at work and then an Apple IIC I bought got me through graduate school, though I almost got a "Trash 80.". On the IIC you had to keep taking out the floppy and turning it upside down or something only to reinsert it again--a real bother!  My last Apple back then was a IIGS with a "pc transporter card" allowing me to run DOS-based programs on it.  From that I went to a Micron pc and then the Gateway and Dell later.  I never cared for the clinky IBM keyboards.  Back in 1986 I was the system administrator for a Burroughs mainframe.  It had 80 megs of memory and we thought we would never run out of disk space!  My problems today and hence why I bought a desktop are mostly with laptops.  I have two bengal cats who insist on shedding on the keyboard so it's stays pretty gunked up.  With the iMac I can toss the keyboard when it breaks down, something you can't conveniently do with a laptop.

I spend as much free time on the Apple support discussion site as I do here.  My next acquisition will probably be a 1 or 2 TB external drive so I can use Time Machine and keep the files on my iMac to a minimum.

Message 7 of 22
DI
Super Contributor

Some days I use a Mac while at this site.  Some days I use a PC or my BlackBerry. 

Message 8 of 22
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

First used a Mac in 1983, been using them ever since - bought  a top of the line iMac in February, and it stayed top of the line for 3 months  Smiley Very Happy

And our company is finally coming rould to letting "select" users have Mac laptops - I can't wait!!

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 9 of 22
marty56
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I first used computers in 1968 (a Univac 1050-II.)  In the mid-seventies I was a user on what would become the Internet.

I worked on Sperry and then Unisys mainframes from 1979 thru 1990.  Small world.

UPS tride to deliver the laptop while we were out so I will have to wait till Monday.Smiley Sad

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.