Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone Upgrade -- Best thing to do?

tag
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

iPhone Upgrade -- Best thing to do?

Hello! I'm posting this here hoping that someone can help me decide which option to go with since I have to get a new phone soon. My nephew dropped my phone and broke the phone's screen into pieces. (iphone 4s) I had been holding out waiting on a wider iphone, not just taller one. I'm not sure what I should do. My bill is about $75 monthly with my work discount. It's normally $71.50 That includes 450 minutes, unlimited text, unlimited data. 

Should I just:

1.) Upgrade through Verizon and change my plan to the 1bg of data monthly and unlimited text/phone for $79.00 monthly after discount.

(with 199.99 price + 30 upgrade fee) + insurance monthly

2.) Buy a new iphone on Apple website. (199.99 + 99.99 apple care) upgrade -- change plan to 1gb share everything for 90/month (not sure about pricing with discount and if I would have to pay the $40 smartphone fee on top of it??)

3.) Change entirely and just port my number to a Straight Talk iphone and pay full 549 for an iPhone 5. 

Not sure, right now I'm kinda leaning towards the upgrade through Apple, but I'm not sure of the numbers of it all. I want to go the cheapest route, but at the same time I want to keep my same number, too.

I feel so lost. LOL

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: iPhone Upgrade -- Best thing to do?

*crickets*

LOL Anyone?
Message 2 of 8
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

I think in your case maybe apple care is an good or better idea. I would have to look at the insurance for vzw if it covers everything like if you lose your phone or drop it again and screen breaks again. In those cases i think apple care covers it and you have to pay i think 75 to get an new phone, as opposed to full 650-700 for an new phone when its uninsured 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 3 of 8
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

True.. I still am confused. Smiley Sad Guess maybe I just need to run the numbers to see what's the better deal. 

Message 4 of 8
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@KennyS2006 wrote:

True.. I still am confused. Smiley Sad Guess maybe I just need to run the numbers to see what's the better deal. 

If you have butter fingers then apple care may be better lol.

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 5 of 8
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Decided that I'm just going to upgrade with Verizon --- buying it up front and doing Applecare and also using straight talk is 100 more for 24 months than just upgrading and getting applecare. So I've already gone to best buy and picked up my new 5s. I hate giving VZW my cashola, but that's life someone's gotta get it!

Message 6 of 8
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

@KennyS2006 wrote:

Hello! I'm posting this here hoping that someone can help me decide which option to go with since I have to get a new phone soon. My nephew dropped my phone and broke the phone's screen into pieces. (iphone 4s) I had been holding out waiting on a wider iphone, not just taller one. I'm not sure what I should do. My bill is about $75 monthly with my work discount. It's normally $71.50 That includes 450 minutes, unlimited text, unlimited data. 

Should I just:

1.) Upgrade through Verizon and change my plan to the 1bg of data monthly and unlimited text/phone for $79.00 monthly after discount.

(with 199.99 price + 30 upgrade fee) + insurance monthly

2.) Buy a new iphone on Apple website. (199.99 + 99.99 apple care) upgrade -- change plan to 1gb share everything for 90/month (not sure about pricing with discount and if I would have to pay the $40 smartphone fee on top of it??)

3.) Change entirely and just port my number to a Straight Talk iphone and pay full 549 for an iPhone 5. 

Not sure, right now I'm kinda leaning towards the upgrade through Apple, but I'm not sure of the numbers of it all. I want to go the cheapest route, but at the same time I want to keep my same number, too.

I feel so lost. LOL

Option 1 and 2 are the same, the only difference is apple care vs carrier insurance (which you can get either regardless of where you brought your phone)

Option 3 would leave you with a 5 instead of a 5s.

@I know you already chose what you wanted to do and picked up the phone @ best buy, so I'll just say you can still get your choice of insurances (Best buy, apple or verizon)

Message 7 of 8
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

I chose apple care plus. It was cheaper and I felt like it was the greatest value. Thank you for replying Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.