Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

laptop/printer

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

laptop/printer

I just got my new printer today, its an HP J4680 it is a wireless all in one.  I was trying to hook up my printer to my old laptop (the new one doesnt ship until 1/26) wirelessly.  Since I want it to be able to be used by all the laptops, I need to hook up a LINKSYS router.  Does anyone know if i need to download the router software into my laptop first.  And how do I find the WEP/WAP and those keys? 

Thanks for any help Vicki

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: laptop/printer

You will need to load the router software onto a computer that is networked to the router (hard wire) . You then use a browser interface to access and load the router.

The software will guide you through the encryption setup. Don't use WEP, 8 year old kids crack WEP. Use WAP2 and I use the MAC address filtering, much more secure and not really difficult to set up. 

The user manual on these things is usually very easy to understand unlike most 'puter stuff. I just setup an new Cisco and it had great documentation.

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmmm....three days....wonder if she blew it up?Smiley Surprised

"ACHTUNG! ALLES LOOKENSPEEPERS!""

Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.”

Message Edited by contractor on 01-20-2009 06:41 PM
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for the help.  No I did not blow it up, hehehe.  But I did not get it to work either, linksys tells me I have the wrong router, but could not tell me which router I need.  She says call At&T.  ATT tech tells me she doesnt know what she is talking abt because they cant help me.

I think my main problem is I have aircards, which ATT tech says he thinks I would need a hardwired internet connection to hook up a router.  But I only wanted to hook the router up so I could hook all my laptops up to one printer.  I have two aircards and switch them to which ever laptop is being used. 

And the Vista laptop said it could not install all the programs available, which HP was of no help.  Tho it is capatible with Vista or XP.  It installed fine into the XP laptop.  So who knows. 

Normally I am pretty good at reading instructions and making things work.  But this router kept saying error ****, i dont remember what it said.  But it was wanting me to unplug my modem.  Which I know I can not do. 

But again thanks for trying to help me, I do really appreciate it.  Vicki

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

One of your computers needs to be connected to the wireless router via wire to set up the router.  That is as simple as running a Cat 5 cable from the computer of choice to the wireless router. 

By "Aircards" are you referring to wifi cards or cell phone internet cards. Big difference, a cell provider card will not work with any wifi gear. Not sure what equipment you have. 

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I used the wifi cord that came with the router, no luck.  Yes I have aircards from ATT, I have both the express ultra and the seirra wireless airdcard  875.  They are called laptop connect cards. 

I thought maybe a wireless router might work with it.  I was planning to check next time i went to town.  Tks Vicki 

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, now I understand. Sorry, I'm old and slow sometimes.

Those are cell carrier cards, they will not connect to a wireless network . 

In order to set up a wireless print network, you would need WIFI cards in your laptops. I would guess if you have a new one ordered, it will come with WIFI.

The router manufacturer should be able to provide setup info on their website for building a non-internet connected network through the router or you can build an "ad hoc" network without a router. You would have to search that term and learn the quirks if you want to avoid the router.

There are also 3g routers that would use your cell carrier connection to the Internet and split it out to various computers via a wired and/or wireless network.

What brand and model router do you have in hand? 

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

The router I have is a Linksys Wireless-N Gigabit Gaming Router Model WRT330N.  I did not buy this router it is my sons. 

MY daughter and I both have Gateway laptops, hers is 570 mine is 580 or something like that.

I know that I can hook my laptop up thru Ad Hoc, but I was in hopes of making both of our laptops wireless, her gateway and my new HP. 

HP Pavilion dv4t Entertainment PC
- Onyx
- Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
- Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Processor T9550 (2.66 GHz)
- 14.1" diagonal WXGA High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1280 x 800)
- 4GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
- 50% OFF! 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9200M GS
- 500GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
- Webcam Only
- HP Color Matching Keyboard
- Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-card with Bluetooth
- Integrated 56K Modem
- SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
- No TV Tuner w/remote control
- 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
- Microsoft(R) Works 9.0
My husband is an inspector, so we live in a 5th wheel to travel for his work, the reason for the aircards.  Therefore space is limited, it is a big 5th wheel but by getting one printer we can both use is much better, even if we have to hardwire to it.  By ordering the printer when I ordered my laptop I got it cheaper than buying a wired one.  And my old printer would not work with Vista.  Anyway one way or another we will make this work. 

I wonder tho if i did order dsl in and hardwired it would it then work?  I mean if we then moved and I didnt have the dsl anymore?

I'm not always the best to explain what exactly I mean.  I usually know what I'm talking abt but sometimes it might not sound right to someone else.  Well most the time I know what I'm talking abt anyway.  Again Tks a bunch.  Vicki

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmmmm tried to edit but that didnt work out. If I bought a 3g router would I be able to hook both our laptops up to the printer using our ATT internet? I guess I now know that you have to have an internet connection to hook up a router.  Tks Vicki

There are also 3g routers that would use your cell carrier connection to the Internet and split it out to various computers via a wired and/or wireless network.

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

No , don't need internet. Let me look up your equipment and get back to you. Getting late tonight.
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.