Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

legalized ticket scalping?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

legalized ticket scalping?

so i see a new site on shop discover stubhud.com

so you give you tickets to them set the price and they sell it for you, ince you have no contact with the buyer your off hook, ok that cool ,but unless the site is contracted with a number of ticket offices to broker tickets, in the cell phones companies have contracted to use others towers to provide national coverage a a flate rate, why wouldn't  the people running the site not ticket scalpers ,

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
JoeBJay20
Established Contributor

Re: legalized ticket scalping?

Yes it's absolulely ticket scalping, but the key is knowing what kind of scalping activity is illegal.  Most states allow tickets to be resold at or above face value as long the sale does not take place at the site of the event.  Naturally, in the few states that prohibit or restrict this activity, companies like Stubhub and Ticketmaster are lobbying to have those laws amended or repealed.
Message 2 of 3
22_broke_and_in_debt
New Contributor

Re: legalized ticket scalping?

@JoeBJay20 wrote:
Yes it's absolutely ticket scalping, but the key is knowing what kind of scalping activity is illegal.  Most states allow tickets to be resold at or above face value as long the sale does not take place at the site of the event.  Naturally, in the few states that prohibit or restrict this activity, companies like Stubhub and Ticketmaster are lobbying to have those laws amended or repealed.

He's right, ticket scalping for the most part is actually not illegal. If you can manage to read the microscopic print on the back of a ticket, it usually outlines the rules for each state. In NY, you can only sell for a %15 profit above face value (printed service charges included) and no closer than 1,500 feet from the venue. However, you can sell a ticket for face value, or a loss, within 1,500 feet if I'm reading it correctly.

Regardless, StubHub is still one of the biggest scams going. Unless they're digital tickets that can be verified, I wouldn't trust it. I'd rather use eBay where someone can photograph with evidence of possession.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.