Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

living simple

tag
katecrime
New Contributor

living simple

through a huge family drama i think i learned THE MOST important lesson i will ever learn.

my grandpa was a very hard worker.  he still is really.  he bought the house he lives in, in 1943 for $800.  my grandma had a few hobbies, antiquing and doll collecting.   they didn't travel much, never really wanted to.  they didn't have to have the latest and greatest.  family and each other were all they needed.  sadly, my grandma passed away in 1990

unfortunately yesterday my grandpa and my mom went to the lawyer's office to write my cousin out of the will.

i called my mom to see how everything went, how grandpa was and how she was.  everything was fine.

i found out my simple grandpa who wears workpants and button up shirts he buys from goodwill has more money than god and jesus.  he'll never worry about a thing as he gets older.

so i'll drive home in my used car, stop at sav-a-lot and be totally fine in last year's summer clothes

my grandpa is totally my hero and inspiration

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: living simple

Sorry to be nosy ... but why is he writing your cousin out of the will?

Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow.  $800.

Yeah, I think there are probably plenty of people from his generation in their blue-collar outfits who will be just fine financially because they actually saved money and PAID for things they wanted.  A lot of people now seem to think retirement will just happen and they will be set.  We can all learn a lesson from your grandpa.

Message Edited by mrscharlie on 06-26-2008 01:43 PM
Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

masdeocho wrote:
Sorry to be nosy ... but why is he writing your cousin out of the will?

ooooh, yeah.  why, why, why?
Message 4 of 19
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

mrscharlie wrote:

A lot of people now seem to think retirement will just happen and they will be set. 

My financial advisor thinks I can happily retire at 80 as long as I don't want medical insurance.  If I do, it will take another 10 years. 
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

My parent's way of dealing with my pregnancy at 18 was to force me to read a book called "Damaged Goods" that likened girls who had sex before marriage to the rummage/sale rack at the store that has all the clothes with holes or missing buttons.. and how people rummage through those damaged clothes, but never actually buy them because they're nasty and have deodorant and makeup marks on them. Oh, and the only people that DO buy the "damaged goods" are men who are poor, or mean, or otherwise scuzzy that they can't afford a "real" wife, who isn't "damaged".

If you really need to permanently and swiftly screw up your relationship with your daughters, this book is the fastest and easiest way to do it.

Luckily, they got out of the church that was brainwashing them, realized that people today really don't give a flip who or how or what you've slept with and generally quit being idiots. Now I'm married to a man that is the envy of ANY woman, and shockingly, he really doesn't care that I have children by another man.

Go ahead with that home, Myhearts. If I'd had that option, I may have gone to a home for young mothers instead of leaving my parent's house and moving in with the extremely abusive, drug-addicted father. And when I eventually left with a newborn, I could have gone to a home like this instead of a Battered Women's Shelter.
Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

ummmmmm ... posted to the wrong thread, Ivy?
Message 7 of 19
dizzier
Established Contributor

*raises her eyebrow at ivy* LOL

Until Chase lowers my ridiculously high APR they can kiss my patootie! Their card has been retired to the sockdrawer. Smiley Mad
Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

mrscharlie wrote:
Wow.  $800.

Yeah, I think there are probably plenty of people from his generation in their blue-collar outfits who will be just fine financially because they actually saved money and PAID for things they wanted.  A lot of people now seem to think retirement will just happen and they will be set.  We can all learn a lesson from your grandpa.

Message Edited by mrscharlie on 06-26-2008 01:43 PM

I totally agree on this point. Most people advocate Americans continuing to spend to save our economy in the short-term, but they fail to remember it was the massive savings of the previous generations that got us to this point and allow us to spend ourselves into massive debt today.

For most people age 30 or more, if you can't tuck away 15% a year you are in for a difficult or late retirement.
Message 9 of 19
demi
Established Contributor

Sounds like "The millionair next door"....usually the ones living the flamboyant lifestyle are not the ones saving...they are spending.

I did get a chuckle out of the title of the thread....I can't think of the name of the magazine, is it "Real Simple" or "Simple Living"?  (Obviously, not a fan)....sorry, don't need to subscribe to a magazine to tell me how to live simple.

Starting Score: EQ 679, TU 697
Current Score: EQ 680, TU 672
Goal Score: EQ 720, TU 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.