Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

misinterpreting song lyrics

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

misinterpreting song lyrics

Marty's mention of Yes made me think of something really funny.  When I was a kid, I thought they were saying "I Love Lucy" in the song Roundabout on the part right before he sings "I'll be there with you"

Some other past misconceptions of mine:

Dark Star by Crosby Stills & Nash -- I thought they were singing "Bart Starr"

Tightrope by Leon Russell -- I thought he was singing "You look into my pants" instead of "...past"

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
dizbuster
Frequent Contributor

Re: misinterpreting song lyrics

Hey Bucket, I had to chime in on this one.

Bon Jovi: Dead or Alive, "On a steel horse I ride" not "On a stay at home sideline" Smiley Happy

I'll remember more as I think about it.

A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
7/6/2009 Equ 664 TU 680 (15 and 19 point jump respectively this week, over 100 point increase in 6 months)
Message 2 of 23
southernficoaddict
Frequent Contributor

I don't think anything cracks me up more....

DD was walking aroung singing "Buy me a beaver" instead of "cry me a river" (Justin Timberlake)

Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well,when I was a little girl attempting to sing along with The Four Tops on Sugar Pie Honey Bunch (I Can't Help Myself) my mama said I would sing sugar pie honey lumps!

It was the 60's,what did I know!!

Message 4 of 23
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Queen, We Will Rock You: All I could ever hear was "big disc brakes" instead of "big disgrace." I knew it was wrong, but for the life of me, I couldn't come up with anything else.

Red Hot Chili Peppers, Scar Tissue: "whispers shared in a lonely room" instead of "With the birds I'll share this lonely view."

You want to talk about the Internet changing the world --once I found how to Google lyrics, I felt much less of a dweeb! Smiley Very Happy
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

...almost forgot Alice Cooper No More Mr. Nice Guy (I used to think it was "No More Mister Night Sky" until I bought the record)
Message 6 of 23
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

OK, that reminds me of a similar one, but rocketing way back:

Missed the Saturday dance
Heard they crowded the floor
Couldn't bear it without you
Don't get around much anymore

--Don't Get Around Much Anymore, Bob Russell/ Duke Ellington, 1940

I always thought the first line was "Mister Saturday Night." And yes, I know that "dance" and "night" don't come close, but that's what I came up with!

I was thinking that I was losing my hearing, but since I've had this one wrong since I was a child, I guess it's my brain instead.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

haulingthescoreup wrote:

...I always thought the first line was "Mister Saturday Night." And yes, I know that "dance" and "night" don't come close, but that's what I came up with!...

Cool ! Smiley Happy Reminds me of my favorite Lynyrd Skynyrd song.  Mr. Saturday Night Special has one of the meanest, nastiest guitar riffs in rock!

Message 8 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone remember the song Brimful of Asha? By cornershop and Fatboy Slim? It's like 10 years old now (gah)

Yeah... the title is NOT Grim Poodle Basher

Message 9 of 23
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

These singers just need to enunciate better. Smiley Very Happy

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.